Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018JKU in Rhino (best color ever)
417 Posts
Yup! My Toyota head friend suggested this so I'm in the market. Looking at the Amazon reviews a lot of folks saying these TeraFlex ones require you to grind the frame on '12-'17 JKs, which is kind of a head-scratcher. Brilliant piece of kit though, and these have a cool mounting point feature that might save on zip-ties. MAN! I bet when future archeologists dig down to our era at HF, they find a half-foot layer of zip-ties. :)
My jku 18 didn’t need grinding but @jabber’s 2016 did need some.

Not sure if other brands require it or not.

I now have disconnects that came with my metalcloak lift and have had no probs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
i hate selfies but I have tons of Flexies of my jeep. 😆 This isn't my first but one easily available on my phone. I even flex in the garage.

testing and designing rear suspension.

·
Premium Member
9,905 Posts
Yup! My Toyota head friend suggested this so I'm in the market. Looking at the Amazon reviews a lot of folks saying these TeraFlex ones require you to grind the frame on '12-'17 JKs, which is kind of a head-scratcher. Brilliant piece of kit though, and these have a cool mounting point feature that might save on zip-ties. MAN! I bet when future archeologists dig down to our era at HF, they find a half-foot layer of zip-ties. :)
It is not uncommon to need to grind down the excess material of the tubular crossbar. Much more so on Rubicons with the electronic disconnect. Why Jeep has it extending 1/4 to a 1/2 inch past the weld is beyond me in the first place.

Reactions: Oleander Salad

·
Registered
963 Posts
Here are a few pics getting all up in it. First pic is back when I was stock. Got myself discombobulated on a ridge, driving on 3 wheels. 2nd is at 2021 EJS playing on the metalcloak flex test. 3rd is with my new apex sway bar disconnects.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m new to this, so I probably sound stoopid but…
Can I do this with a stock Sahara? 😮
Most pictures I see are from rubis

·
Premium Member
2018JKU in Rhino (best color ever)
417 Posts
Can I do this with a stock Sahara?
Yep!

You’ll just not have quite as much “flex”.

One of my pics above is very stock for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Firecracker JKU Sport S -mostly stock at this point
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Can I do this with a stock Sahara? 😮
The first post in this thread is my almost totally stock 2016 JKU Sport (trim just below Sahara). Disconnecting the linking rods from the anti-sway bar and zip-tying them to the frame is about a 10 minute job providing you start out with a 18mm wrench, 18mm socket, and a handful of zip ties. Putting it back is the same except you need cutting pliers to get the zip ties off.

It went even faster when I got over the idea that I could do it without just laying down under the front end. :)

That seems like 'enough' flex at this point, and the difference between this and the 'rock crawler' level seems to be about $20k worth of tires, wheels, and suspension parts. I have to ask myself if I want to rush out and spend 20 grand on off-road stuff, then I have to remind myself that I don't have 20 grand, and I have about 10 grand of perfectly functional stuff under there already. :)

Reactions: MissOCD

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first post in this thread is my almost totally stock 2016 JKU Sport (trim just below Sahara). Disconnecting the linking rods from the anti-sway bar and zip-tying them to the frame is about a 10 minute job providing you start out with a 18mm wrench, 18mm socket, and a handful of zip ties. Putting it back is the same except you need cutting pliers to get the zip ties off.

It went even faster when I got over the idea that I could do it without just laying down under the front end. :)

That seems like 'enough' flex at this point, and the difference between this and the 'rock crawler' level seems to be about $20k worth of tires, wheels, and suspension parts. I have to ask myself if I want to rush out and spend 20 grand on off-road stuff, then I have to remind myself that I don't have 20 grand, and I have about 10 grand of perfectly functional stuff under there already. :)

View attachment 4515619
I think I’ll safely start on an unpaved road hahaha 😄

·
Super Moderator
16,567 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep® Wrangler JLU Rubicon
11 Posts
Nice to see you my friend! It's a great photo! We had a great time crunching a rock or two.

Flexie- n. A picture of a vehicle with one of its wheels on a big rock.

OK, there may already be a word for this, but when I started lookin at 4WD stuff online, I thought of these pics as kind of like 'selfies' and started calling them 'flexies.' I took my #firstflexie at Hidden Falls Adventure Park (HFAP) yesterday, and it dawned on me that it's probably pretty common for it to be one of the first off-road things us n00bs take a picture of.

"Clifford" did great at HFAP with stock suspension + ~120 lbs. of front bumper gear. It seems to have suffered no ill effects from having the sway bar disconnected/reattached. The only even mildly scary part of the whole 'adventure' was when a guy airing up next to me at the public air station had a chuck detach from the end of the hose and the hose spazzed out in the dirt like an epileptic garden snake that spits small rocks in random directions at ballistic velocities until someone shuts off its air supply while you cower behind a Jeep hoping not to lose an eye.

View attachment 4515287
(H/T: Kevin, Mike, Austen, @jeremy-tx, Veronica, Jason, ~10+ random strangers I bugged with real-time n00b questions)

·
Retired Moderator
102,558 Posts
Reactions: mikethomasahn
21 - 40 of 66 Posts