Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just bought my first wrangler a couple of weeks ago but I need to put some TLC into it. I want to know what tools you're carrying in your jeep and what essential or favorite tools that you keep nearby when working on your Jeep, or both!

It's been awhile since I've had a car to put actual work into, pretty excited about it.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I keep a basic set of sockets (probably should add an set of adjustable wrenches), a breaker bar with a socket for my lugs.

In my gear box, I have:
- Socket set
- hammer
- vice grips
- wire brushes
- brake clean
- breaker bar
- pliers / cutters
- tie downs
- recovery gear (tree protectors, snatch block, gloves)

I think I have a few other items, but those are more or less my essentials.

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
I keep a generic mechanics tool set in the jeep, along with a set of stubby wrenches, panel trim removal tools (1), and a plastic fastener removal tool (2)

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUPOU1O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35260-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002SRCMO

I also keep an off road recovery bag, emergency skip work and go to the beach bag, and a football in the jeep at all times.

edit: usually a cooler in there too :)

edit2: recovery bag stays behind the passenger seat so I can reach it from the driver seat at any time.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well Gang,
My tool bag is a Craftsman tool bag and, as such, is STUFFED with as much as I can get in it:

1. 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" socket sets, including a 1/4" drive metric socket set
2. A couple sizes of straight tip screw drivers
3. A couple sizes of Phillips tipped screw drivers
4. 12" Channel locks
5. Needle nose pliers
6. Standard pliers
7. Wire cutter pliers
8. Stubby 12 oz. Ball peen hammer
9. 1 1/2" wide scraper/putty knife
10. A digital Volt Ohm Meter
11. 12V test light
12. Bailing wire
13. Small rolls of 10, 12, 14 and 16GA wire
14. Electrical tape
15. "Gorilla" duct tape
16. Epoxy glue

And there's a whole lot more I can't think of right now but, suffice to say, I'm probably getting a mile per gallon less due to the weight of a tool bag outfitted for "what if". Also, what's not in the pictures below are two types of pruners, for pruning "Arizona Pinstriping" potentials that I can't get by without doing so. Those are mounted on the underside of the shelf. I just pull on them and they slide out of their mounts. And vice-versa when I need to put them back. This way, they're out of the way but, are immediately handy if and when needed.

And, while not necessarily tools, there's also a nice 4'x 4' rubber one-sided blanket for putting down to lay on IF and WHEN I might need to get under the Jeep for "what if" ever happens. It can be used to sit on also for lunch breaks etc.
I carry the large square auxiliary foot, for my Hi-lift Jack there too. There's also a rolled up, semi-full sized blanket "just in case" we get stranded and need warmth for "what if". Also, in there is a Emergency Tire Plug kit of the ROPE type. And, on the right side, my C02 tank which, is encompassed totally with 3/4" plywood and, fully carpeted to keep it snug and secure.

Behind all that stuff are two full sized folding chairs (with built in cup holders).

All of that equipment, is sitting on the rear deck, below a shelf that spans from side to side of the rear fenders and from the back of the back seats to the inside of the tail gate. That shelf, and the legs of it, are also completely covered in black indoor/outdoor carpet to blend in with the Jeeps interior. That shelf provides a great platform for Home Depot/Lowes runs as well as general groceries too.

This way, with the shelf in there, we get to keep all the tools, trail-travel components, air-up stuff, Jack stuff, comfort stuff etc. and still have lots of room for "What if" things too. Oh, "What if" is, what ever happens, what ever we pick up while shopping, what if this or that breaks, what if, someone besides myself needs air, while on the pavement or off road, and more.
Scott

P.S. Some of this might not be really titled as "Tools" but, to me, it's all tools of need, in various forms.

On Edit::
I just realized that in the last picture, you see the rear head rest "bungeed" town. That is to increase the visibility to the rear, in the rear view mirror. I have since found out how to release the mechanism that keeps them up-right when driving. Now, they just lay in that down position, until needed. Then one push back up, and they stay there for rear passengers.
Scott

·
Registered
869 Posts
Guys this is great stuff!! Scott I love what you did there in the back!! I like the way you think.
Thanks for the nice comment Sir. My goal here is to hopefully, be equipped with what I "think" will do the most good, for GENERAL situations, both on and off road. Having those fold-up chairs is really a plus. They've come in handy on way more than just off road lunch stops. Then, to be able to tuck all that we carry, UNDER the shelf, is really nice. As stated earlier, that shelf is ultra handy for all kinds of run-a-round tasks. It's nothing but some 3/4" plywood and, a 36" 2"x4" that's cut into 9" legs. The legs are carpeted before being installed onto the bottom side of the shelf. The shelf is not FORM FITTED to the back fenders etc. It's just close on each side. There was/is no need to make it ultra tight.
Scott

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That is a very enjoyable shelf, Scott, well done! I'm subscribing here, there's gonna be a ton of good stuff coming out of this thread!

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
If you're going to mod, I find the following items essential for almost anything:

- 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches. One long for leverage up to 250ft/lbs and one short for torquing the small stuff
- A complete set of metric sockets ranging from 10mm to at least 22mm with adapters and flex adapters for getting into tight spots
- a metric crows foot socket set for torquing bolts that are a tight fit even for a short socket
- a 3 ton floor jack and 2 6 ton jack stands
- a good impact wrench

Everything else is as needed depending on the job.

The carry bag for wheeling is essentially a complete metric socket set, wire cutters, pliers and work gloves with a crowbar and torque wrench that I stash under the back seat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
- A complete set of metric sockets ranging from 10mm to at least 22mm with adapters and flex adapters for getting into tight spots
- a metric crows foot socket set for torquing bolts that are a tight fit even for a short socket
Good suggestion on the crows foot socket set! Added to my list.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I keep a 170 piece Crescent mechanics tool kit in the Jeep.

When working at home, my Kobalt battery powered impact wrench is invaluable.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
I keep a 170 piece Crescent mechanics tool kit in the Jeep.

When working at home, my Kobalt battery powered impact wrench is invaluable.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I need a good battery power impact.
Kobalt is a good option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
I keep a generic mechanics tool set in the jeep, along with a set of stubby wrenches, panel trim removal tools (1), and a plastic fastener removal tool (2)

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUPOU1O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35260-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002SRCMO

I also keep an off road recovery bag, emergency skip work and go to the beach bag, and a football in the jeep at all times.

edit: usually a cooler in there too :)

edit2: recovery bag stays behind the passenger seat so I can reach it from the driver seat at any time.

Just ordered the amazon tool kit.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I keep a basic tool kit I got from people boys for about 100$. It has screw drivers, plyers, sockets, wrenches and Allen wrenches in both standard and metric. I also keep torx head sockets, jumper cables, a rubber mallet, tools for changing tires and some straps. Those stay in the Jeep at all times. I have an off-road bag with d rings, snatch and recovery straps, miscellaneous tools for things I've broken on the trail in the past, a foldable shovel and a few other things. I just bought a two door so my storage space greatly shrunk after having a 4door. Lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep a basic tool kit I got from people boys for about 100$. It has screw drivers, plyers, sockets, wrenches and Allen wrenches in both standard and metric. I also keep torx head sockets, jumper cables, a rubber mallet, tools for changing tires and some straps. Those stay in the Jeep at all times. I have an off-road bag with d rings, snatch and recovery straps, miscellaneous tools for things I've broken on the trail in the past, a foldable shovel and a few other things. I just bought a two door so my storage space greatly shrunk after having a 4door. Lol
I like your kit and the idea of keeping a second bag ready for adventures.
I read in another thread a good money saving storage tip on two door models, take out the back seats. :lmao:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just realized I'm not going to have any money left for parts after I buy all the tools I've added to my list from this thread! Thanks again everyone!! This has all been really helpful.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I just realized I'm not going to have any money left for parts after I buy all the tools I've added to my list from this thread! Thanks again everyone!! This has all been really helpful.
For what it's worth, this is the Crescent set that I keep in my Jeep. I found it at a local regional store called Bridgeport Equipment on sale for Father's Day for $69.99. Bought 2 sets. One for my wife's Jeep, one for mine.

Seems to be really nice quality stuff for not a lot of money, Crescent tools come with a lifetime warranty.

Point being that while the cost of tools certainly does add up, you don't have to break the bank to get a pretty decent tool kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK170CMP2-Mechanics-Tool-170-Piece/dp/B00F4AVRGW

Note that it does not include a 16mm socket. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a shallow and a deep well 16mm to throw in my tool kit as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts