Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading all factory speakers. Looked at Alpine, Kicker, JBL & Polk.

What are you using and why? I have a 2015 JKU with a 730N radio (non alpine). I have been told that since I'm not upgrading my head unit that I have to get a DSP which I don't necessarily believe because as I hear from plenty of guys on here you don't HAVE to have one but of course it helps improve sounds.

What I want: Something that sounds better than stock and delivers a little bass.

What I'm prepared for: All new speakers, an enclosed hideable sub either powered or unpowered and an amp.

Any and all protips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Pro tip ... install yourself.

My jeep came with the oem so called Alpine upgrade. It was fine until I upgraded the head unit due to my frequent excursions. I went to pioneer 6200nex and it bumped the power a bit. After a couple months of playing loud, my oem speakers started to distort so I religiously searched for my next upgrade.

I went with Morel brand due to their reviews and they don't disappoint. Morel maximo components up front and Morel coax in the soundbar. Up front speaker enclosure was dynamatted and polyfilled the soundbar. The sound is amazingly crisp and live even with my cheap Logic amp. My sister was a professional singer and I've been to a couple of her recordings. The sound reminds me of when I was in the studios... as if she was singing right in front of me... I can feel the whispers of low end notes and small tidbits like when a singer catches his/her breath. That's how good they are. A month afterwards, I moved up to the higher end Morel Hybrid 602's and they too don't disappoint. More sound off axis from the tweeters and better mids.

Bass is still oem alpine but I do have plans to change that out once I upgrade my amp, go live and forego the crossovers, dsp and tune to get the best out of the hybrids.

This is all i have for pics. The pics of the tweeters...that was a "professional install of the Maximo's." They used superglue, and didn't cut the tabs on my HU which wasn't flushed. I had to redo their mess.

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bass is still oem alpine but I do have plans to change that out once I upgrade my amp, go live and forego the crossovers, dsp and tune to get the best out of the hybrids.
Sorry just for clarity sake... are are you saying go with DSP, AMP etc? I don't know what you mean by go live? lol.

I have heard good things about the Morel line and will absolutely take that into consideration!

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Sorry just for clarity sake... are are you saying go with DSP, AMP etc? I don't know what you mean by go live? lol.

I have heard good things about the Morel line and will absolutely take that into consideration!

Thank you!
I meant go active with the components. I currently have a 4 channel amp and will be getting a 6 channel amp for my speakers. 2 for the tweeters, 2 for the mids, and 2 for the rear coax. The current crossovers will not be used.

I will be upgrading my setup with a 6 channel amp , 1 mono amp for the sub, DSP, and finally upgrade the sub as my final goal. Right now i'm focusing on other jeep parts. Car audio is addicting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you want to stick with the OEM radio, I would say to get a DSP. The OEM radio does something that seems to cut back some of the Bass frequencies.

I did just a speaker replacement (Alpine) and it sounds better, but the bass sucks. I wish I would have not wasted the money getting the 430N "upgrade". I do not have the factory Alpine upgrade either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to stick with the OEM radio, I would say to get a DSP. The OEM radio does something that seems to cut back some of the Bass frequencies.

I did just a speaker replacement (Alpine) and it sounds better, but the bass sucks. I wish I would have not wasted the money getting the 430N "upgrade". I do not have the factory Alpine upgrade either.
Yeah I totally understand. I just upgraded from a 130 to the 730n wanting to keep it stock but now I'm thinking that was a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
i had the base audio and 430N in my 2016 JKU.

I replaced the dash and soundbar with the 77Kick10:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm

I also added the Super Tweeters:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1102.htm

and for bass I added the Kicker VSS. I got the SWRA411 since it was in the Mopar catalog and my dealer would install it as part of the initial order:

KICKER | SWRA411

That is just a powered sub.

The better system is the PWRA415, which is the same 10 inch powered sub, but a 4.1 channel amp & DSP to power the 77Kick10

it is supposed to be tuned specifically for a Jeep, etc.

it is pricey, but if you can find reviews of any Kicker VSS, they are pretty solid. Kicker just posted these videos that make the installs look pretty simple. Had i seen this before, I probably would have installed it myself.

https://youtu.be/iFID9qwJ8fo

However, i still recommend replacing the head unit

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had the base audio and 430N in my 2016 JKU.

I replaced the dash and soundbar with the 77Kick10:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm

I also added the Super Tweeters:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1102.htm

and for bass I added the Kicker VSS. I got the SWRA411 since it was in the Mopar catalog and my dealer would install it as part of the initial order:

KICKER | SWRA411

That is just a powered sub.

The better system is the PWRA415, which is the same 10 inch powered sub, but a 4.1 channel amp & DSP to power the 77Kick10

it is supposed to be tuned specifically for a Jeep, etc.

it is pricey, but if you can find reviews of any Kicker VSS, they are pretty solid. Kicker just posted these videos that make the installs look pretty simple. Had i seen this before, I probably would have installed it myself.

https://youtu.be/iFID9qwJ8fo

However, i still recommend replacing the head unit
That VSS sub is awesome. Can I ask you something? What are the advantages of putting in coaxial speakers vs components I put a set of components in and it sounded like garbage. I have tweeters in the front and the rollbar. So shouldn't I put components and tweeters back in them to match factory?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That VSS sub is awesome. Can I ask you something? What are the advantages of putting in coaxial speakers vs components I put a set of components in and it sounded like garbage. I have tweeters in the front and the rollbar. So shouldn't I put components and tweeters back in them to match factory?
I'm no expert in this, I just know this forum loves the 77Kick10 and the price is right.

I knew I was getting the VSS, so I asked Kicker and they even recommended the 77Kick10, even over Kicker component systems.

My sub is amazing. I just have to decide if I'm going to pony up the cash to get the multi-channel amp and DSP to turn my SWRA411 into a PWRA415

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saw that kit too. My buddy works at a "retailer" that carries pretty limited stock. I was going to attempt to mock build this kit at cost. Full alpine. Start with 2 sets of the component speakers and an amp.

But now i've been reading about these: https://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C2-650-6-5-Inch-Component/dp/B0036D1DQI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503518333&sr=1-1&keywords=jl+audio+speakers

I'm all over the place. It's just a lot to digest. I want to install it myself as I have a pretty good working knowledge of this It's just mounting the amplifier and optimizing the system that I know very little about...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Ok, let me give some advice.

One, the 703N will work fine. Is a Aftermarket radio better in terms of sounds and features?
Yes, but also not OEM fit and more reason for thieves to steal it.

Now my system works and sounds well for what I call a moderate system price wise.

Radio: 430
Dash and Sound bar 6.5": 77Kick10 speakers
Dash and sound bars 3.5" OEM 216 Alpine Speakers
Sub: KICKER 11HS8 8" 150 watts sub
AMP: Alpine KTP-445 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier
Line Out converter: AudioControl LC2i

Now the front speakers are being powered by the Alpine amp. Sound bar via the 430 head-unit. The LC2i is only a 2 channel line out. So if you split the signal like I had before, you loose the fade option. The LC6i will fix that, but bigger and can't hide in dash, tried.
The Sound bars speakers are there for fill and work excellent this way. yet I may get the LC6i in the future again. I will mount under drivers seat.

What the LC2i does, if give you CLEAN and FULL sound and BASS to your speakers and sub!
Read here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2IB/AudioControl-LC2iB-Black.html?tp=2001

This allows me to run the bass control at -2 with great MiDS andMID BASS.
The Kicker 8 sub, get full power and clean bass and I run it almost rear the bottom. It will kick enough bass to feel in the seat and shake you rear view if you want.

Will this win sound competitions? NO, but will have great, loud and clean sound with the roof down and still feel bass.

All these fancy component speakers, multi channel amps for each set of speakers, DSP and all that others stuff is a WASTE OF MONEY for 99.9% of people. The JK/U interior is horrible for sound and is a loud outside sounds vehicle. People will spend s thousands for martial sound. Sorry folks that did, but its fact sound wise.

Now if you want Apple or Android Car play, more audio settings and not worried about fit or theft, then get a nice head unit and enjoy it. I have had many nice AM radios and loved them. My Subaru Outback, before my JKU had a real nice Pioneer unit and loved it.
But ill fitting and poor AM fit and change of theft will soft top or top down, has made me sick with the 430. Just wish we had the new JL radios for ours or the 8.4 Uconnect systems of other Chrysler/Dodge cars and trucks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I run pretty much all JL. C2 650 Components up from, C2 650 coaxial in the sound bar, w8 sub and an XD 700 5-channel amp. Pioneer HU. All new wiring.

C2 tweeters fit like a glove to the tombstones, no cutting at all. Bolt them right in. Coaxial you may need a spacer, but mine fit in with some crafty angles on the screws. Poly filled sound bar and front speakers "boxes".

Front crossovers are pretty decent for a passive set-up. The amp has all the frequency tunability needed in combination with the HU. Good clean sound. Links to build in my sig..

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Radio: 430
Dash and Sound bar 6.5": 77Kick10 speakers
Dash Quadratec® JK-TWEET15 Super Tweeters
Sub: PS-8 Rockford Fostgate 8" 150 watts sub
AMP: Kenwood 4-channel Amplifier
Line Out converter and DSP : AudioControl LC6i

This makes the stock radio sound great. At the very least you need a DSP and a AMP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently installed Polk db6502 components in the sound bar and dash. Went with these for their water resistance. Lot more midbass and I can feel the music a bit now. 130N and want to stay stock but it sounds like an might be next.

Granted I am running topless and doorless and I haven't heard them with the hardtop on yet. Also running stock MT so lots of road noise as well.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I have morel tempo ultra components up front,morel maximo components for rear fill and a hertz hx250d subwoofer. Source is a pioneer 4200nex head unit and everything is powered by an alpine pdxv9 amplifier. The floor, tuffy 299 security enclosure and speaker buckets are all deadened with noico 80mil. Everything is very loud and clear without sounding bright. The sub was a year old from my malibu that had audison prima components, loved the audison but wanted to try something new. Basically I went with morel because of theor reputation and every thing i heard in person that i liked was a lot more money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here’s my setup

Didn’t get a pic of the front speaker pods but I’m running JBL GL600C components in both front and rear. I modified the original tweeters to hold the new tweeters. I tucked the crossovers inside a small cavity inside the rear speaker bar 1 on each side next to the speakers. The front tucked the crossovers behind the speaker pods and routed new wiring to the teeeters. I bypassed the cable from the original tweeters and only used the cable from the woofers into crossover then routed to tweeter and to woofer to let the crossover do its thing and separate frequencies as it should. I then fiber filled the speaker pods as well and the sound bar. I took out the stock stereo and installed a pioneer AVH-X491BHS with rear facing pioneer camera seen circled in the picture. The sound is amazing way better than stock. I didn’t get the alpine system but I did get the 430n RHB stereo with uConnect which i shouldn’t have but live and learn. I could have saved a lot of money lol. Amps and subwoofer coming soon. INSTALL WAS DONE BY ME

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I got the Kicker upgrade set from Quadratec - rear coax, front pods, and the 'Super Tweeters' (not Kicker).
They are a great set.
I like the super tweeters, definitely over priced, but sure is an easy install

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts