Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working on building my own snowplow. I have limited money, and need to be able plow the snow to my remote cabin. I was wondering if anyone else has built their own snowplows, and if you have lets see some pictures! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's pretty sweet! I see them come up at times in the spring near me on craigslist, you can pick up a used setup pretty cheap fyi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen some around here for $500 used on craigslist. Eventually I will put a nice one on it, but for now this will work. It's solid and bolts to the bumper through the 6 holes that were already there. Plus it didn't cost me anything. Hopefully it works? I don't need to scrape down to bare ground just enough for me to get in and out. So I have it set at about 8inches high.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Its a good idea in theory, but take it from a guy that has been plowing snow for a few eons now, leaving 8 inches of snow isnt going to work.

Once the blade gets full, and you are pushing all of that extra weight of the snow, you are going to do nothing but spin, ALOT. Plus the fact that you have it set up like a "V" plow and what you dont realize is that once you make that pile on either side of the road, its going to freeze in place, and the first time you even think about bumping into that frozen furrow, your wooden plow is going to get smashed into splinters.

I have seen steel plows get bent to hell and back when trying to plow deep snow.

The only way your plow will work is if its used in powdery snow at slow speeds, and you only use it 1 time. Even if the edge is 8 inches off the ground, if you dont have supports from the bottom edge back to the frame, that plow is going to fold like a piece of paper when you try and push snow.

Sorry for all of the negative thoughts, but i have been plowing snow for atleast 35 years now, and have tried all sorts of designs such as what you have done, none of them work as well as a power angle plow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I mounted a 60" atv plow on my 95' this summer for the same purpose of moving light snow at my cabin. I haven't tested it yet but lets just say I have no plans for bucking my way through the bank at the end of the drive with it. I'm sure the push and mass of the jeep will fold up push tubes made for a 600# atv with ease if you aren't really careful about what you are doing.

That being said, fabricating a mount u bolted to the front springs just in front of the axel was extremely easy and the winch to lift it up and down is already there. Total build cost including the craigs list plow and push tubes was $150.

As soon as we get snow I'll let you know how it worked or if I'm in the market for a new oil pan after running over my formerly attached plow.....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Its a good idea in theory, but take it from a guy that has been plowing snow for a few eons now, leaving 8 inches of snow isnt going to work.

Once the blade gets full, and you are pushing all of that extra weight of the snow, you are going to do nothing but spin, ALOT. Plus the fact that you have it set up like a "V" plow and what you dont realize is that once you make that pile on either side of the road, its going to freeze in place, and the first time you even think about bumping into that frozen furrow, your wooden plow is going to get smashed into splinters.

I have seen steel plows get bent to hell and back when trying to plow deep snow.

The only way your plow will work is if its used in powdery snow at slow speeds, and you only use it 1 time. Even if the edge is 8 inches off the ground, if you dont have supports from the bottom edge back to the frame, that plow is going to fold like a piece of paper when you try and push snow.

Sorry for all of the negative thoughts, but i have been plowing snow for atleast 35 years now, and have tried all sorts of designs such as what you have done, none of them work as well as a power angle plow.
^^^^Good stuff here.

I have a 7' snowbear that i use for driveways. I can mount it on the jeep or my truck.

It works great for small stuff. It is only a power up and down but i have gotten used to using on my own stuff and i only have to swing the angle one time per driveway.

I recomend using a "built" plow. It's easier and works better in the end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I mounted a 60" atv plow on my 95' this summer for the same purpose of moving light snow at my cabin. I haven't tested it yet but lets just say I have no plans for bucking my way through the bank at the end of the drive with it. I'm sure the push and mass of the jeep will fold up push tubes made for a 600# atv with ease if you aren't really careful about what you are doing.

That being said, fabricating a mount u bolted to the front springs just in front of the axel was extremely easy and the winch to lift it up and down is already there. Total build cost including the craigs list plow and push tubes was $150.

As soon as we get snow I'll let you know how it worked or if I'm in the market for a new oil pan after running over my formerly attached plow.....
OK Finaly got 8" of snow to test the home brew ATV plow. Worked great. Even pushed out the bank at the end of the drive without ripping off the jeep. Just need to be careful with it and know what you are working with. Beats the hell out of shoveling.... Total build cost with HF 2000#winch and Craigs list 60" cycle country plow and mount $220.00

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts