Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks I have looked at 20,000 wheels I think and I believe I have narrowed down to maybe these 2. I am going with 17 inch to replace my AEV Pintlers - I want to keep as close to the same backspace and I think either of these will do it I hope. Once has 5.4 and other one 4.88...

So I need some help - anyone have these that would be willing to post some pictures of what they look like on your ride! Mine is Billet so those are a plus and I am looking at the Black with Machined accents on them too.

Thanks in advance to you all - if you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
OK folks I have looked at 20,000 wheels I think and I believe I have narrowed down to maybe these 2. I am going with 17 inch to replace my AEV Pintlers - I want to keep as close to the same backspace and I think either of these will do it I hope. Once has 5.4 and other one 4.88...

Thanks in advance to you all - if you have any questions let me know.
Which two?

What size tires are you planning for?

I'm running Duratrac 315/70R17 on 4.88" backspaced 17X8 wheels with 1.625" net lift (Rock Kraler 1.5" coils) and stock flares with 2.5" bumpstops. At full steering lock I have about 1" clearance between the tire and stock control arm. I have zero rubbing so far in the steering.

The 5.4" backspacing is going to be tight with 33's. Definately a no go with 35's in my opinion.

Have you seen this awesome backspacing comparator?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So for the wheels:
First Choice: Ultra Motorsports Phantom (First Choice) - 17x8 4.88 Backspace (+10MM) - Black with Diamond Cut

225 Phantom - Ultra Wheel

Tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17
Just installed the TeraFlex 1.5 leveling kit

Currently I have the AEV Pintler which is 17x8.5 5.2 Backspace with the Nitto's mounted on them. (Leveling kit not installed in this picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I ran the numbers from both of those wheels through the comparator and it looks to me like that both provide about the same clearance as your Pintlers do. The mongoose brings the tires in 2mm closer to the suspension. You shouldn't experience any rubbing. (insert disclaimer now-I am an amateur hack, and you should not spend money based on my advice)

If you compare the mongoose and the 285/70 to the stock Rubi rims (6" backspacing) with 255/75 Mud Terrains, the mongoose adds 17mm (.75") of clearance even with the larger tire. (the inner wall of the larger tire is still .7" farther away from suspension)

My experience is with the Ultra Crusher 17X8 et10 (+10mm = 4.88" BS) and a much larger/wider tire (315/70R17) is that there were no rubbing issues at all on the street. I do NOT have the plastic air dam in place; instead I have the steel 10A bumper skid plate. Most whom report the rubbing issues with the 285/70 state it occurs on the air dam, and that slight trimming is necessary. If you're not currently experiencing rub, I doubt you will with the Phantom or the Mongoose. Now many will tell you that you need 4.5" backspacing MINIMUM. I think it depends on the application. If your planning to wheel hardcore, than it is probably better to go that route...

I agonized for MONTHS over my wheels/backspacing and tire combo. I know what your going through. Good luck finding the pictures to help make the decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the wealth of info - I think I am pulling the trigger on the Phantoms I have looked at some many pictures and jeeps with wheels on them they are all starting to look the same. I have someone who wants my Pintlers so it's a basic zero cost thing to me - worst case I have to buy something else :)....

No waiting for them to arrive next week....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go it's done... - TeraFlex leveling kit installed & Ultra Phantom Wheels - quite a difference if I don't say so myself!

Now do I need new shocks or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
very nice! I really prefer these wheels! ...and the answers to "do I need new XXXX" is always yes...

I hear Rancho does a spring promotion every year and you can get the 9000xls half price...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice that's the same wheels and tires I am looking for. Also the same lift. In that pic do you have the lift spacers in the front and rear or just front. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts