Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And goes away around 40 mph. No shakes after 40 up until 75 (that’s as fast as it’ll go). It shakes bad enough that the dash shakes.
And it’s only while under power, if I drop off a hill in neutral it’ll glide right through 30-40 mph smooth.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Death wobble? Do you have a steering stabilizer that's hiding the underlying issue.

Do YJ’s have death wobble? I thought they were prevalent in TJ’s?
I also thought death wobble was at higher speeds?
If I’m wrong please feel free to educate me. I’m trying to learn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
Yes, you can get "Death Wobble" on a YJ. I don't know if what you're experiencing is death wobble or not. Whatever it is, it needs to be repaired.
If you check all your suspension and driveshafts and don't find anything, take your Jeep to a 4X4 shop that can do alignments on lifted vehicles and tell them what's going on.

Any wobble at any speed will stress the other components, causing probable premature failure of the wobbling part and it's related components.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Driveshaft dents
Driveshaft ujoints
Front suspension
Wheel bearings
Imbalanced tires
Bent rim

And I recently experienced a similar situation with a loose pinion nut.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Methinks that coasting through at 30- 40 with no vibration leans towards ujoints. I had "Death wobble" on my 98 WK and it ended up being sway bar bushings, but it was very intermittent ant 65-70 and only on certain spots of the freeway, not consistent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had similar issue. Right at 42 MPH the steering wheel would shake and the Jeep was scary to drive. Above 50 it would smooth out but it was sketchy on the highway. I went ahead and changes the entire steering linkage assembly with new steering damper (shock) and ball joints. Then I had it aligned. I also installed the "The Cure" from Ruff Stuff (hopefully I wont get in trouble for mentioning a vendor) and it completely eliminated the death wobble. I still have a little play but I already have the steering gearbox and lower steering shaft to be installed soon. That should cure the dead play on the steering wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts