Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Sick of the weak little horn in my jeep

4852 13
my old '99 had a really nice, deepish sounding horn with it. and i loved it. Well i got the 06 a few months ago and the horn on this one is.... terrible. its not loud, its girly sounding, I'm ashamed to use my horn because it makes my jeep sound all tiny. i want to get a new one.

The only problem is i have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. i dont know where the horn is, how to install one, what to look for when getting one... etc
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Commercial Member
5,961 Posts
Horn is at the front left (drivers side) of the engine compartment. Not sure how loud you want it?? I can't recall having ever used my horn in my jeep in the 2.5 years I have owned it. Other than goofing off I can't remember ever using the horn in any of my vehicles in the 19 years I have been driving!!

· Registered
272 Posts
I hope to be doing a horn install in the next week. Will take video with the old and new setup for comparison. Got a high and low note and will be replacing the single existing with the 2 new. About $30 on Amazon.

· Registered
340 Posts
I imagine that horns can be a very personal decision.

I've had weak horns in the past, and when going 70+ mph on the highway, I want to be heard over the road noise another car is experiencing. It doesn't matter how much you use it, it's whether you want it heard when you have to use it. No matter how defensive your driving is, I still think a horn is a great safety device.

I installed the Wolo Bad Boy air horn a few months back. It's much better than stock, but won't blow you out of your seat. However, it can be heard on the highway, and is loud when you accidentally press it in the garage.

Install was easy once you find a mounting point.

· Registered
8,964 Posts
after the recommendation of a member on the forum, I installed a set of 4-note 1970s Cadillac horns. I made a bracket to hold them in front of the radiator, under the frame by the front grill body mount. I kept the stock horn in place, and use it to trigger a relay that powers the horns.

sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI

· Registered
8,964 Posts
A lot of you are using relays. I was going to split the factory wire to attach my 2 horns in the OEM location. Will that not work?
you can do it that way if you want to burn stuff down.

the horns I used pull over 10 amps....i know that because I blew a 10 amp fuse. Have a 20 amp fuse in there now and haven't blown that yet. the relay is a 40 amp.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
Some TJ's came stock with a dual note horn setup (JJBS Dual horns) that sound much better than the single. You can probably locate a set at a junk yard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.