Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my old '99 had a really nice, deepish sounding horn with it. and i loved it. Well i got the 06 a few months ago and the horn on this one is.... terrible. its not loud, its girly sounding, I'm ashamed to use my horn because it makes my jeep sound all tiny. i want to get a new one.

The only problem is i have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. i dont know where the horn is, how to install one, what to look for when getting one... etc

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Horn is at the front left (drivers side) of the engine compartment. Not sure how loud you want it?? I can't recall having ever used my horn in my jeep in the 2.5 years I have owned it. Other than goofing off I can't remember ever using the horn in any of my vehicles in the 19 years I have been driving!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I put a horn from a 60s jeep so it would sound like a jeep!

·
Registered
305 Posts
My horn definitely got the job done when a large truck tried to merge into my lane with me in it two days ago. Blew the horn and he went right back to his lane.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hope to be doing a horn install in the next week. Will take video with the old and new setup for comparison. Got a high and low note and will be replacing the single existing with the 2 new. About $30 on Amazon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I imagine that horns can be a very personal decision.

I've had weak horns in the past, and when going 70+ mph on the highway, I want to be heard over the road noise another car is experiencing. It doesn't matter how much you use it, it's whether you want it heard when you have to use it. No matter how defensive your driving is, I still think a horn is a great safety device.

I installed the Wolo Bad Boy air horn a few months back. It's much better than stock, but won't blow you out of your seat. However, it can be heard on the highway, and is loud when you accidentally press it in the garage.

Install was easy once you find a mounting point.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I put a set of black Hella Supetones (both lows) in the grill. I used a relay triggered from the stock horn wires and disconnected it. It's a lot better than stock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A lot of you are using relays. I was going to split the factory wire to attach my 2 horns in the OEM location. Will that not work?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
A lot of you are using relays. I was going to split the factory wire to attach my 2 horns in the OEM location. Will that not work?
you can do it that way if you want to burn stuff down.

the horns I used pull over 10 amps....i know that because I blew a 10 amp fuse. Have a 20 amp fuse in there now and haven't blown that yet. the relay is a 40 amp.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Some TJ's came stock with a dual note horn setup (JJBS Dual horns) that sound much better than the single. You can probably locate a set at a junk yard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a Mack horn in mine all I did was installed a vacuum pump to the vacuum line and connected an air tank and the horns and a button and I love it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts