Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some rocker panels for my new to me 98 wrangler. I am trying to cover up rust that is under the door on both sides. I bought some POR 15 to help slow down the rust and need to cover that up. Anyone have any ideas? I am on a budget and need some that go up high on the sides. I cant tell by looking at pictures on websites and none of them say how high up on the side they go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Pics?
I have a 98 with the same problem. How heavy are thoose rockers? So it's a rocker guard and not just a plate that get tapped into the tub right?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I was thinking about rhino lining the area on my 97. I don't have rust but I sure have a lot of scratches.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wwch99tj I love the way your looks but is more than I want to spend. powellst how was it paint the crome? Did you have to sand it down alot?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If you are really on a budget, you can clean and prep the rusted area then mask off what you want to cover and spray on bedliner. One can should cover both sides and it would look like a sudo rock rail. The bedliner should be able to hide any imperfections. I've seen it done before and it doesn't look bad at all. If not that, I think there is someone out there that makes plastic tape on covers. I wouldn't want to spend a lot on something that is just for cosmetics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about the ones that use 3m tape? I want black for sure and I am gonna need panels for the back corners and bottom tailgate. Gotta love the salt here in MN hard to find a Jeep that is more than 10 years old that isnt rusted in those spots. I also think Im gonna bedline the hinges.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
How about the ones that use 3m tape? I want black for sure and I am gonna need panels for the back corners and bottom tailgate. Gotta love the salt here in MN hard to find a Jeep that is more than 10 years old that isnt rusted in those spots. I also think Im gonna bedline the hinges.
If you want something that goes on with 3m tape, I'd look into a DIY project and get ABS sheet cut to size from a plastics supplier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
wwch99tj I love the way your looks but is more than I want to spend. powellst how was it paint the crome? Did you have to sand it down alot?
Cedar,

The diamond plate is aluminum, and it wasn't that hard to paint. You have to rough up the surface and remove the oxidation. I used scotch brite pads and a little gasoline, and then after it dried...used steel wool and soap/water. After drying, put out about 5 coats of the Rustoleum bedliner spray and it looks great.

BTW, mine mounted with either 3M tape or self tapping screws. I decided to use the 3M tape and it holds very securely.

·
Retired Moderator
102,614 Posts
where did you get these? Are they custom? The post is from a while back but looking to find ones similar. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts