Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I am a new jeep owner and in need of side steps. Have a 2015 JK in Anvil and I'm looking for a great looking textured side step. Any ideas?

I've been looking at Smittybilt and Westin so far but just can't decide.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
dont do side steps.

they bolt to the pinch seam and bend and cause body damage EASILY

get some frame mounted sliders that stick out far enough for double duty.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
yeah its a terrible way to do it. but its cheap and it works assuming it never hits a rock or gets ran into by anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little unfair....

2 in the "pinch seam" are under shear and do not flex.

The third one (not shown) is mounted to the floor and prevents the assembly from twisting - exact same mount as factory running boards.

Wife has MS - just installed the Amp PowerSteps and I LOVE THEM!! She can get in and out so easily now.

Folded up they really look like rails.

I doubt they could take much off roading abuse.

If you need to protect the vehicle, frame mounted rails are the ticket.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My ACE sliders double duty as protecting and steps. Frame mounted too. Seems to be working well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I needed a way for some of the older members of my family to get in the Jeep. Instead of side steps, since I have rock rails. I decided to purchase a medical grade step stool for $40 and leave it in the cargo area, it works out perfectly it's sturdy with non skid rubber on the top in a lovely shade of gray flake metal.

Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool with Non Skid Rubber Platform
http://amzn.com/B002VWK118

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
LoD has some rock sliders that are frame mounted. They do require drilling and tapping the frame (14 total holes) but they're fantastically well-built and have a built in step. Not as wide as the Sahara side steps, but they work well.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I needed a way for some of the older members of my family to get in the Jeep. Instead of side steps, since I have rock rails. I decided to purchase a medical grade step stool for $40 and leave it in the cargo area, it works out perfectly it's sturdy with non skid rubber on the top in a lovely shade of gray flake metal. Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool with Non Skid Rubber Platform http://amzn.com/B002VWK118
great idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LoD has some rock sliders that are frame mounted. They do require drilling and tapping the frame (14 total holes) but they're fantastically well-built and have a built in step. Not as wide as the Sahara side steps, but they work well.
Those look nice but do they have any that don't require drilling?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I really like the looks of the LODs, I've got the Smittybuilt SRC side armor, which looks cool and serves as a good wide step and doesn't require drilling, and costs $$ less. But if you get in the big rocks the LoDs would serve you a lot better. The thing to remember about sliders/steps, most are up there near the door area and they serve a lot better for putting the top up/down and washing the Jeep then they do as a step up into the Jeep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really like the looks of the LODs, I've got the Smittybuilt SRC side armor, which looks cool and serves as a good wide step and doesn't require drilling, and costs $$ less. But if you get in the big rocks the LoDs would serve you a lot better. The thing to remember about sliders/steps, most are up there near the door area and they serve a lot better for putting the top up/down and washing the Jeep then they do as a step up into the Jeep
I've looked at the Smittybilt and there is a set I like and they aren't as expensive as the other ones I've shopped around for. I don't plan on going through any serious rock terrain so I'm thinking the Smittybilt will work. I'm honestly looking just to complete the look for now.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I needed a way for some of the older members of my family to get in the Jeep. Instead of side steps, since I have rock rails. I decided to purchase a medical grade step stool for $40 and leave it in the cargo area, it works out perfectly it's sturdy with non skid rubber on the top in a lovely shade of gray flake metal.

Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool with Non Skid Rubber Platform
http://amzn.com/B002VWK118
That's ghettofabulous :happyyes:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts