Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

anyone can recommend an "aesthetically" nice fuel tank holder to mount on the side (not rear) of my JK?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Check out RetroFit Off-road. They have a couple of options and an EX-member of WranglerForum.com, jsherb designed them. He’s no longer a member on here bc of some stupid BS. You can find him on the expedition/over-landing site. Super nice and friendly guy. Hope this helps ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out RetroFit Off-road. They have a couple of options and an EX-member of WranglerForum.com, jsherb designed them. He’s no longer a member on here bc of some stupid BS. You can find him on the expedition/over-landing site. Super nice and friendly guy. Hope this helps ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks bro!

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
I can’t speak to the owner of that site, but he carries Mor/Ryde accessories which are very good. I have the full tailgate system and love it. I’ve been eyeing the rotopax mounts as an upgrade.

There is also a company that makes a mount for the hardtop that covers one of the rear side windows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can’t speak to the owner of that site, but he carries Mor/Ryde accessories which are very good. I have the full tailgate system and love it. I’ve been eyeing the rotopax mounts as an upgrade.

There is also a company that makes a mount for the hardtop that covers one of the rear side windows.
Bro, can you share a picture of the tailgate system?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Hi Guys,

anyone can recommend an "aesthetically" nice fuel tank holder to mount on the side (not rear) of my JK?

Thanks
Yeah... I had the same issue. Try and find a side mount system which doesn't look like something out of a Frankenstein movie. I finally just built my own out of angle iron and cargo straps.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Bro, can you share a picture of the tailgate system?

Thanks
Here you go. They make a Hi Lift mount and a Rotopax mount that go to the passenger side of the tire. They also make a shelf that goes above the tire.

Attachments

Reactions: Lupo81

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah... I had the same issue. Try and find a side mount system which doesn't look like something out of a Frankenstein movie. I finally just built my own out of angle iron and cargo straps.

View attachment 4464370

View attachment 4464371

View attachment 4464372

View attachment 4464373
Do you happen to have pics on how you attached it? I too am looking at mounting jerry cans to the side but the Morryde jerry can holders are 170 per side. A bit on the pricier side so looking to see if I can DIY it.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Do you happen to have pics on how you attached it? I too am looking at mounting jerry cans to the side but the Morryde jerry can holders are 170 per side. A bit on the pricier side so looking to see if I can DIY it.
No pics of its attachment, but it has been drilled and bolted directly to the fender (large washers as backing inside the fender). Some worry about the resale value after doing this sort of thing, but I am not one of them.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Have the Morrhyde ones. They are a spendy proposition, especially if you get the roughly $70 a pop Wavian cans. Having said that, they have served me through all of my travels without a single issue.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
do you guys prefer side or tail support?
Personally speaking I prefer the side. The back door already has some serious weight on it and you're not going to get full fuel tanks on there without stepping up the carrier so now you're talking not only new tanks and a mounting system, but also a new carrier if you don't already have one. Now if you already have a heavy duty carrier then you have some flexibility but if you don't then a reasonable carrier is going to be an extra $400 to $800 on top of tanks and a mount.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,316 Posts
Advantages and disadvantages to both:

On the trail, especially with trees and branches, the side mounts can get beat up or though the potential is small, torn off. Ease of access is great.

On the rear, like @bobsanders said... it is added weight that can add to sag of an already soft or overloaded rig. Especially if you are adding 2 4G Roto's (8x8 = 64lbs) or 2 5G Jerry's (8x10 = 80lbs). That's essentially equal to a 2nd tire/rim combo hanging off the back. On the upside, there are many variables on how to mount Rotopax and Jerry's. Bumpers, swingaways, specific mounts/brackets. On the front, you have really only have two options - MorRyde or DIY.

I went to the back on mine. a 3G Fuel and 2G Water Rotopax with a semi custom mount I made. It is a Rotopax plate, but I drilled 3 holes that run through the plate, through aluminum spacers and into the lug nuts of my tire carrier. I don't have a pic for some reason. I'll grab one later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally speaking I prefer the side. The back door already has some serious weight on it and you're not going to get full fuel tanks on there without stepping up the carrier so now you're talking not only new tanks and a mounting system, but also a new carrier if you don't already have one. Now if you already have a heavy duty carrier then you have some flexibility but if you don't then a reasonable carrier is going to be an extra $400 to $800 on top of tanks and a mount.
thanks bro!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Advantages and disadvantages to both:

On the trail, especially with trees and branches, the side mounts can get beat up or though the potential is small, torn off. Ease of access is great.

On the rear, like @bobsanders said... it is added weight that can add to sag of an already soft or overloaded rig. Especially if you are adding 2 4G Roto's (8x8 = 64lbs) or 2 5G Jerry's (8x10 = 80lbs). That's essentially equal to a 2nd tire/rim combo hanging off the back. On the upside, there are many variables on how to mount Rotopax and Jerry's. Bumpers, swingaways, specific mounts/brackets. On the front, you have really only have two options - MorRyde or DIY.

I went to the back on mine. a 3G Fuel and 2G Water Rotopax with a semi custom mount I made. It is a Rotopax plate, but I drilled 3 holes that run through the plate, through aluminum spacers and into the lug nuts of my tire carrier. I don't have a pic for some reason. I'll grab one later.

Thnaks bro, very useful comment :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I added a 3 1/2 gal Rotopax onto mine. It was cheaper than adding a metal 5 gallon can. Between the extra cost of the seat for the gas can and a good quality gas can itself I decided to save money and go with the Rotopax setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
On a prior Jeep I mounted Jerry cans. Never needed the extra gasoline. Haven't bothered with extra fuel on current JK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts