Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the standard JK fenders and liners. I went with after market flat fenders and liners. They have no place for the side markers. I have though about replacing them with the small LED lights but dont think I can cut and splice can I?

Do I need a resistor or something to make them work?

Type of marker I am interested in:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-12v-24...224552?hash=item1cd7d63728:g:7IEAAOSwYu9dnEHR

·
Registered
894 Posts
Since your thread title is "side turn signals" I'll point out the stock lights are marker (parking) lights only, not turn signals. You don't need resistors for those. I clipped the plug off the stock fixture and soldered it to LEDs, protected by marine grade (waterproof) heat-shrink tubing.

Stand-alone LED turn signals would need a resistor. Some people have spliced LED side lights into the front turn signal wiring instead. I suspect you wouldn't need resistors for those (to avoid hyperflash) either, since the computer will still see resistance from the front incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You soldered the stocks clip to the 3/4 leds on the side markers and didnt get hyper-flash? Reason i ask is because i am trying to do the same thing but not sure if i need a resistor. I would think i do since they are leds

·
Registered
156 Posts
just get the 3-wire LED lights and tap into the turn signal wire (searches will show you which wire to splice into). The draw is so low for most LED's that you shouldn't need to get resistors. The lights turn on when headlights or parking are on, but will also work as regular signal lights. Makes a HUGE difference on my daily commute in heavy traffic on a highway to tell people i'm switching lanes- and to stay the F away haha. I don't have any "hyperflash", and they are perfect- i think I got a pack of 10 for less than $20 years ago.

Here's a link to some different lights, but you can find 'em cheaper on Amazon, ect.

https://metalcloak.com/dual-function-led-marker-blinker-light-tj-lj.html

Reactions: mcguirev10

·
Registered
894 Posts
You soldered the stocks clip to the 3/4 leds on the side markers and didnt get hyper-flash? Reason i ask is because i am trying to do the same thing but not sure if i need a resistor. I would think i do since they are leds
Correct, although I didn't use those specific LEDs, not that it matters. Stand-alone parking lights generally aren't monitored, although these days lights that don't do double-duty as DRLs and/or turn signals are rare on most vehicles. I've converted a lot of vehicles to all LED, it's usually only older ones that have dedicated parking lights.

·
Registered
894 Posts
just get the 3-wire LED lights and tap into the turn signal wire (searches will show you which wire to splice into). The draw is so low for most LED's that you shouldn't need to get resistors. The lights turn on when headlights or parking are on, but will also work as regular signal lights. Makes a HUGE difference on my daily commute in heavy traffic on a highway to tell people i'm switching lanes- and to stay the F away haha. I don't have any "hyperflash", and they are perfect- i think I got a pack of 10 for less than $20 years ago.

Here's a link to some different lights, but you can find 'em cheaper on Amazon, ect.

https://metalcloak.com/dual-function-led-marker-blinker-light-tj-lj.html
You don't need resistors because the regular turn signal bulbs are still in-line providing the correct resistance.

Wiring as blinkers is how I'll go on my own Jeep, the wife wanted backlighting on her Artec liners that probably wouldn't make a difference as turn signals.

But daytime:

Reactions: drummr25

·
Registered
156 Posts
You don't need resistors because the regular turn signal bulbs are still in-line providing the correct resistance.
You're exactly right...I was confused in my response since I normally have the "LED draw" discussion around the need for building in fuses or not with other lights & accessories. :doh: And FWIW, I still include fuses in my most powerful LED's just to be safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot I had done the turn signal mod for the side markers.

i clipped off the side marker plug and wired a 2 wire LED in. When the headlights are off, it works as a blinker but not as a side marker. With headlights on, nothing.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I forgot I had done the turn signal mod for the side markers.

i clipped off the side marker plug and wired a 2 wire LED in. When the headlights are off, it works as a blinker but not as a side marker. With headlights on, nothing.

Any thoughts?
Well you still don't need a resistor because the original bulb is inline, as I mentioned above. If you want marker power you'll need one of those 3-wire LEDs someone else posted about earlier (and still no resistor).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I ordered the 3/4 LED with 3 wires. Now do I just wire it into the blinker harness for the front one with the 3 wires?

·
Registered
894 Posts
OK I ordered the 3/4 LED with 3 wires. Now do I just wire it into the blinker harness for the front one with the 3 wires?
Yup, one will be ground, the other two are power, shouldn't matter which of those two you use for blinker vs marker.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yup, one will be ground, the other two are power, shouldn't matter which of those two you use for blinker vs marker.
Maybe I'm missing something, but turn signals should be 400-500 lumens and side markers should be about 40 lumens. A 40 lumen turn signal in sunlight would be practically invisible, and a 400 lumen side marker would be distractingly glaring at night (and would be a ticketable equipment violation). So... I'm pretty sure it matters a lot which wire gets hooked up where?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but turn signals should be 400-500 lumens and side markers should be about 40 lumens. A 40 lumen turn signal in sunlight would be practically invisible, and a 400 lumen side marker would be distractingly glaring at night (and would be a ticketable equipment violation). So... I'm pretty sure it matters a lot which wire gets hooked up where?
Excellent point, although the cheap Chinese LEDs I've seen (granted, just two out examples of probably thousands) don't differentiate.

Put a 9V battery on the leads and see if one or the other is brighter.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,900 Posts
Settle down side marker lumen policeman....people run rock lights and all kinds of lights on and under their rigs and it's not an equipment violation.....400 lumens isn't blindingly bright....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Settle down side marker lumen policeman....people run rock lights and all kinds of lights on and under their rigs and it's not an equipment violation.....400 lumens isn't blindingly bright....
I'll have to agree to disagree on a steady-on 400 amber lumens being glaring at night :)

And you're right. The FMVSS specifies only minimum photometric intensities for amber side markers, no maximums. That's surprising to me, considering how detailed the regulations are for everything else. I would still consider turn-signal intensities for a side marker to be asinine, but today I learned something new...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108

Table X

1 - 17 of 17 Posts