Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Jeep, a 2000 Wrangler and the side and back windows have a kind of haze or something that makes it almost impossible to see through. I was wondering if anyone had a cure for this problem or any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. By the way, it is the soft top, that might help to know.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The best cure is a new set of door skins. About $150. They Velcro on.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Meguiars and others make plastic window reconditioning kits. Probably won't be like new but good enough to work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The best cure is a new set of door skins. About $150. They Velcro on.
Pretty sure door skins won't help with the back windows, but I'm mostly doorless, so maybe I'm wrong. I've got a set of original windows collecting dust, but 1) they're probably 18 years old and 2) I expect shipping from Hawaii to be prohibitive.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Wiping the vinyl windows with paper towels is what causes them to get fogged up like that. Paper towels are made from pulverized wood products which scratches the hell out of them.

You can polish out some of the haze with a multi-step plastic window polish like from Meguiars or Novus. Amazon.com sells them both. But neither make the process easy, it requires a lot of elbow grease.

And avoid paper towels... use something like old soft cotton tshirts, cotton towels, cotton cloth diapers, etc. that have been slightly moistened. Soft cotton won't scratch them further.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been using car polish to buff mine out since my first Jeep back in 1991. No rocket science here. You can buy the "specialized" plastic polish if you want. I use Meguiars car polish these days because that's what I use on the of my TJ.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm also looking at a used 2005 with the side windows and the back window on the soft top in somewhat the same condition as the ones described here. I was wondering if a top shop could replace the plastic windows with new material as they would on a convertible top. Now knowing if this could be done at a reasonable price, or a new top is the better way to go. The top on the jeep is in very good shape and hate to buy another. Any ideas.

trainman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts