I am looking at

Smittybuilt
Rampage
Westin

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have the smittybuilt src side armor...Love the way they look but a huge PITA to install.
I've got the same. Love em so far. One side went on easy, the other side I had to grind...several times in two different areas. But it wasn't like performing surgery on my own abdomen, or anything. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
New2012JEEP said:
Can anyone recommend a brand that you trust

I am looking at

Smittybuilt
Rampage
Westin

Thanks
I am looking at the rampage side steps that retract depending if you need a step or body protection. You can get them on Amazon for 319 a pair.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
ACE Rock Rails work really well and also protect you from the rocks and door dings.
X2 on the Ace Rails

They are intended as rock sliders, but end up being an ideal step as well because of their design. (They even work with stock rock rails!)
the Ace rails might cost more than a step, but they are solidly engineered and guaranteed for life, so you are really getting what you pay for with 'em.

My wife thinks they look great and she loves being able to get in and out without a fuss as well, which was the main reason I used for getting them. ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone ended up going Smittybilt 3" Sure Step Sidesteps.

Picture tomorrow for anyone interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got the same. Love em so far. One side went on easy, the other side I had to grind...several times in two different areas. But it wasn't like performing surgery on my own abdomen, or anything. :D
Same with mine...one side was easy as pie and the other...well lets just say the 20lb sledge and I won that battle :thumb:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just pulled off the Rampage nerd bars for Ace sliders an hour ago. The rampage steps were great for steps. Very solid, but as I started going through tougher obstacles I took em off before I damaged them. Great for the price.

View attachment 86306

View attachment 86307
Did you notice any wear (Rust) on the body painted part where the Rampage steps were set? The Smittybilts have the 2 bolts (For the support bracket) that go on the painted part, and 1 huge bolt that went on the frame. I didn't like the way the bolthead and washer met the paint, but I guess that is what they call for.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh! Thanks Desertgoose, that is the same indentation I have and was worried about, seems normal then.

7, those are nice rails, the price turned me away though :/

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
71K5 said:
These are the rails I am saving for. They are a combination Ace/Rubicon rock rail made by Mopar. Should install fairly easy.

MOPAR 82210574AC - MOPAR® Enhanced Rock Rails with Tubular Rub Rail in Satin Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Also see them here:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12112_223_07.htm

They have the nice Jeep logo on the side.
Those are pricey and don't have enough of a step on them. My other choice was to get rubi takeoffs and have my neighbor weld step rails onto them for little less than ace.

New2012JEEP said:
Ahh! Thanks Desertgoose, that is the same indentation I have and was worried about, seems normal then.
You can always put some touchup paint over it to prevent rust.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
These are the rails I am saving for. They are a combination Ace/Rubicon rock rail made by Mopar. Should install fairly easy.

MOPAR 82210574AC - MOPAR® Enhanced Rock Rails with Tubular Rub Rail in Satin Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Also see them here:

They have the nice Jeep logo on the side.

Mopar Rock Rails
Sorry about the link to another forum.

I meant to show this link to show better pics of the rails with the Jeep logo. Looks like they are Mopar's version of the combination Rubicon and the Ace rail you guys have "invented" but built into one rail.
The Jeep logo plate area, looks like it protects the rocker panel from rock chipped paint very well.
Yes they are expensive.
But how much is the Mopar Rubicon rail and the Ace rail price for someone who has neither rail.
Would it be cheaper to buy the Rubicon rail and the Ace rail or just this Combination rail from Mopar.
I like the look of all the JK Rubicons I have seen here that have added the Ace rail.
This looks to be the same look as Rubi/Ace combo, but less hardware.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts