Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, folks, I've been lurking for a while... usually finding answers to my problems pretty easily... but now I've got a head-scratcher.
Need to replace my soft top (common problem), and I am a little low on cash ('nother common problem)... I ran across a replacement top made by "Sierra Offroad" and they claim to be a new division of GAHH. Pretty much the only place to get them is "Auto Tops Direct", "Jeep Tops Direct" and "Car Tops Direct" -- I'm guessing they are the same group, and that smells a bit....
I can't find any info on these tops. I did find some pretty ugly reviews about ATD, but only a hand full total.

Anybody out there know ANYTHING about "Sierra Offroad" and their replacement tops? Seriously, they have a sailcloth top for $229... it's either a great deal, or complete garbage... Oh, and the kicker? I 'only' need a rear window for [what I found out was] a Trails End top... and you can't get one... so ... gotta get a new setup.
If anyone can help on this, I'd appreciate it....

·
Registered
6 Posts
anyone? anyone?
I just got mine today and installed it. I was a little concerned because of the low price but it went on pretty easily. An upholstery shop wanted $140 just to put a new zipper on my back window and my side window zippers were getting ready to go so I bit the bullet. I haven't driven anywhere yet but I'll let you know if its noisy, etc. As of now, it looks as good as a factory top.

·
Registered
144 Posts
try out craigslist im sure someone close by is selling one for a reasonable price.. i bought my jeep used with hardtop, got all the softtop, frame, and the door jammers for like 275...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got mine today and installed it. I was a little concerned because of the low price but it went on pretty easily. An upholstery shop wanted $140 just to put a new zipper on my back window and my side window zippers were getting ready to go so I bit the bullet. I haven't driven anywhere yet but I'll let you know if its noisy, etc. As of now, it looks as good as a factory top.
Thanks! I look forward to hearing your experience. How is the stitching, zippers, etc. relative to the factory?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been happy with it. It's not too noisy but I can't compare it to a new factory top because it's been so long since I've had one. The windows and zippers have good fit and slide well. I'm much happier with this than the worn out factory top with bad zippers and cloudy windows. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wnytj,

How's that Sierra Soft top going? Hopefully well.
Just wanted to ask about the thickness of the windows and the actual material itself.
I've read some threads that state the tips with the cheaper price have very thin windows. Is this true for your Sierra top?
Also, they claim that it's "sailcloth". How would you comment on the thickness of the material?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The windows seem a little thinner than the factory ones and the top material is thinner than my '98 had but seems the same as the '03 factory top, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cheers.

Just trying to come to some sort of conclusion on a replacement top. I'm thinking if I go for a cheap then in the long run I'll end up buying more than just buying a Bestop Sailcloth right off the start.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was wondering if you could measure the thickness of the material in mm. I asked the company for the thickness and they said 40 oz. which is even thicker than the bestop sail cloth top. I'd like to compare it top my factory top. All these tops are claiming to be an upgrade in thickness (Smittybilt, Sierra etc)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, folks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these tops for my '99. So, looking at the Black "sailcloth" top to be delivered today. For my part, it cost right at $250 shipped (on sale).
Because this is so affordable, and it seems like tons of folks are always talking about a replacement top, I may start a new thread on my impressions once I get it installed, which probably won't be until the weekend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, folks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these tops for my '99. So, looking at the Black "sailcloth" top to be delivered today. For my part, it cost right at $250 shipped (on sale).
Because this is so affordable, and it seems like tons of folks are always talking about a replacement top, I may start a new thread on my impressions once I get it installed, which probably won't be until the weekend.
Can you keep me posted please.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also how would you rate the thickness of the Sierra top compared to the factory top?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surferbob, I have no way of measuring it. I did a "feel test" with it still rolled up, versus the Pavement Ends top that is currently on the Jeep, and it feels thinner, BUT, the backing materials are different. The estimated shipping weight was something like only 16.5#, so that might lend to a thinner material, but again, that is pure speculation. I will try an un-scientific comparison when I get it installed. Will also likely start a new thread with my impressions, to help others.... so I'll post that here when I do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for your help. I'm looking up new tops for my 04 TJ and weighing cost VS quality. Looking into the Smittybilt and Sierra tops (cheaper) and comparing them to the bestop (expensive).
I'm trying to be very vigilant in my comparison as I'll be buying and shipping from the States to Australia (so returning will be a problem).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issues as you guys. I found the Sierra top and have been trying to find reviews. It has a 30 day money guarantee, so I guess if it is cheaply made it can be sent back. Dunlay, I am anxiously waiting for your reply. Thank you for all your other posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All, one thing that I will note, is that the outside of the box prominently says "MADE IN CHINA". While that doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular these days, it may have something to do with the lower price.

Ok, I will start a new thread with an un-authorized, unofficial review. I may NOT get to the installation this weekend, however, as we do have some chances for rain here all weekend and into next week (I'm installing outside).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, here's an update. I got it installed, me and my wife, with no problems ****. There was a bit of finesse required to get the screws into the header through the plastic reinforcement strip -- not all pre-drilled, but not much of an issue.

***** One actual item problem, however. While the installation instructions were quite good, there was NO reinforcement in the tube that slides into the tailgate bar -- it was only a loop of fabric. Called Sierra Offroad, got to the right person after a couple of days, sent some pictures, and he said that it was an error, that there was supposed to be rigid plastic dowel in there. He said they would ship a new window the next morning. (I could live with that). After a week, I have seen nothing, and followed-up with them. After checking, another customer svc person got involved, and just told me that the next shipment will be in at least 3 WEEKS, and can I wait. Since I have no choice, that has to do. So, right now, the QC isn't impressive, and I will have to do something to keep the rear window from blowing for the next month. They did apologize. We will see if there is any consideration for this....

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been quite some time now dunlay, so I'm wondering how it all turned out for you. I'm currently in the market for a new top for my TJ, and I'd love to hear how it all worked out, and how the top is doing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd also like to hear as I'm strongly leaning towards this top. They are now advertising a 3 year manuf warranty ! Please update. I know most members here are die hard Bestop fans & I've read most threads about tops but I'm only interested in hearing about Sierra right now. (Xmas silly time !) Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts