Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an aftermarket sideview camera for my 99. Mounted the camera and ran the wires. I connected it to an aftermarket Kenwood touchscreen head unit.

I want the camera to come on with the right signal. I know I need to connect it to the signal switch (and not the signal itself) so I get constant power when the signal is on. Found the signal relay but somehow, there is power to the relay AND to the signal wires as long as the key is turned on. How is that?? I'm no electronics wiz, but I do know that a wire with power connected to a light should turn on the light. Is the switch a grounding switch?? When I activate the signal switch, the power flashes with the signal.

Either way, can anyone come up with a clever work around for this? I have looked all over the threads and all over the net. No such info...

Could try an additional relay, but because there is constant power from the switch, a relay would always be closed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think that it's going to be very tough to do what you're looking to do with a power source that pulses. Every time the turn signal light turned off, so would your camera.

You're easiest solution would be to hook it up so that you've got constant power available, controlled by a switch. You could put in a double pole, double throw switch that you could set up so that up is right, center is off, and down is left (or some variation of that).

I can't think of a way to use your turn signal circuit to trigger your relay, as you would need a constant source of power to do that. If you can get a wiring diagram for your Jeep, you might be able to trace the circuit so that you can discover how the turn signal circuit works, and if there is any sort of constant (non pulsing) power available.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
From your description, I believe that you are looking at a switched ground turn signal where the ground side of the lamp is 'made' to turn on the light. Are you sure about this? Are you sure that the +12V side of the bulb pulse at the lamp socket? Because if it does, you can use it with a delay-off timer to keep a voltage 'on' when the trigger source goes away. I've never used this timer: https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Relay-Hours-Cycling/dp/B00PD65UGA but it seems to have the ability for both a grounded trigger or a voltage trigger and it has a delay-off function. I looked for a delay relay that I used to use in TV transmitters but I couldn't find it, so I don't even know if they had a +12V version of that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Op - thank you!

Thank you Bob Chase! That is exactly what I need. I did find a schematic from the web that I think would have worked, but by the time I buy the pieces, set it up, solder it up and test it, I could have this timer in there for a month already! I'm going to get it and I'll let you know if it works.

For those pro-DIYers who want to git their thang on... here is the schematic and the link to the forum where I found the other possible solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc...-view-camera-with-left-right-turn-signal.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts