Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So on my 92 YJ 2.5L, I replaced the belt in the same fashion it was on from the PO. New belt from the parts store that’s supposed to be OEM for non-A/C units.
I was informed that I had my belt on wrong and that the routing was as shown in the 2nd pic. So of course I took it off and tried to route it like the diagram and of course it doesn’t fit. Not even close. Is there a longer non-AC belt or perhaps different diameter pulleys?

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
Yeah, I think yours is routed incorrectly. I had to run out and peek at mine and although it’s a 97 should have the same 2.5 as yours. Mine was a factory a/c vehicle but the p/o bypassed the seized compressor by using a non a/c belt (I assume, never had to replace it so not sure if it’s an OEM p/n for that application or just a generic length one). It’s a bit hard to see in the photo but the routing matches the one in your diagram.

The part number on my belt is 6PK2005 790K6 and is long enough to route as pictured. What p/n belt did you end up getting?

Reactions: Missle01

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think yours is routed incorrectly. I had to run out and peek at mine and although it’s a 97 should have the same 2.5 as yours. Mine was a factory a/c vehicle but the p/o bypassed the seized compressor by using a non a/c belt (I assume, never had to replace it so not sure if it’s an OEM p/n for that application or just a generic length one). It’s a bit hard to see in the photo but the routing matches the one in your diagram. View attachment 4514464
The part number on my belt is 6PK2005 790K6 and is long enough to route as pictured. What p/n belt did you end up getting?
Thanks so much! I’ll run out and try to find that part number belt tomorrow.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
And if I remember correctly when I replaced the water pump it certainly seemed to be directional. You don’t want that spinning the wrong way for a number of reasons but mainly because it won’t cool near as good. My old 4.0 and this 2.5 both run what I would consider “hot” to begin with anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if I remember correctly when I replaced the water pump it certainly seemed to be directional. You don’t want that spinning the wrong way for a number of reasons but mainly because it won’t cool near as good. My old 4.0 and this 2.5 both run what I would consider “hot” to begin with anyway.
Thanks. The good thing is it’s actually turning the water pump the same way, so at least that’s a positive. One other forum member on here said his father insisted to run the belt this way and it’s worked for them. I’m still going to try and locate the belt you have because there’s more contact area with that configuration.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Thanks. The good thing is it’s actually turning the water pump the same way, so at least that’s a positive. One other forum member on here said his father insisted to run the belt this way and it’s worked for them. I’m still going to try and locate the belt you have because there’s more contact area with that configuration.
When in doubt.. Ribbed side of belt mates with ribbed pulleys and a smooth side mates with smooth pulleys. If someone tries to convince you otherwise--point that out to them.

John D

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When in doubt.. Ribbed side of belt mates with ribbed pulleys and a smooth side mates with smooth pulleys. If someone tries to convince you otherwise--point that out to them.

John D
Funny thing is you’re absolutely correct as the ribbed side does match as well as everything turning the correct way, so I’m not “worried” about it as much anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think yours is routed incorrectly. I had to run out and peek at mine and although it’s a 97 should have the same 2.5 as yours. Mine was a factory a/c vehicle but the p/o bypassed the seized compressor by using a non a/c belt (I assume, never had to replace it so not sure if it’s an OEM p/n for that application or just a generic length one). It’s a bit hard to see in the photo but the routing matches the one in your diagram. View attachment 4514464
I just realized that yours is different as you’ve got another pulley below your power steering pump that’s not on mine.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
Funny thing is you’re absolutely correct as the ribbed side does match as well as everything turning the correct way, so I’m not “worried” about it as much anymore.
While that routing will work, the big thing is you have less contact surface with the crankshaft pulley, as well as the Alt and P/S, which is why the belt is too short to route correctly. Also gives up the opportunity for the belt to slip. If it works with proper tension I wouldn't worry, unless you start having issues with cooling, charging, or the steering.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's hard to photograph with the fan shroud in place.
This is an unmolested 2.5l YJ that's been in the family since the mid 2000's. So I'm fairly confident the shroud to original. Here's the diagram that came with the Jeep, and a photo trying to show that it's routed wrong, like yours.
I don't like how close it is to the thermostat housing, and how little contact area there is with the crank pully, but again, it's never caused a problem.
Very strange that the belts too short to fit the right way. I assumed it just happened to fit both ways.

That extra idler on Bigbadjohns 1997 TJ below the power steering pump isn't there on the 2.5L 1995 YJ I have access to.
My guess is that's an auto tensioner. On my 258 it's tensioned with the alternator, I think 2.5L and 4.0L in YJ's are tensioned with the PS pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Actually, looking closely at the diagram on my shroud, and the one provided by another poster in the last thread, they're different.
Try routing it how my shroud shows.

I edited out the A/C routing on my diagram to make it easier to read.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I thought I'd make an image showing the incorrect routing more clearly, that seemingly works fine. But is less than ideal.
Thanks for the clarity and showing the different versions. I’ll try the way you mentioned bring the belt around the water pump pulley down to the crankshaft pulley.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
Your Alternator pulley size will determine what size belt you will need. I have two different pulleys on my YJ's and it was a pain to get the right size belts fiqured out.

Here is how to get the actual belt length by using the PK number.

I run a 6pk1920 on the red Laredo with the larger pulley (2-7/8") and a 6pk1793 on the Sahara with the smaller pulley, (2-3/8"). The added diameter requires another 100mm to make up the difference in size. My other pulleys are all the same size. My P/S pump may be located differently on your 2.5 so I would only use my numbers for reference.

Reactions: Missle01

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My 1995

1 - 16 of 16 Posts