Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I (from Indiana, we all have jeeps) have booked a week long trip to Silver lake area, to do trails, hiking, fishing, and boating. While looking I came across silver lake state park, and it seems like taking our jeeps to the beach would be an awesome time.

Our trip isnt till June, so we have some time, but I wanted to clarify what I needed to purchase to be "off road" legal.

It seems I need an ORV Lisence ($26.25) and then some sort of recreational passport for like $36. And then lastly we need some sort of voucher to get onto the dunes?

I see where to get the ORV license and I will probably get that online before we go, but what is that other stuff exactly?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its a fun time, your state park pass daily or yearly purchase. The voucher is Im thinking a wait list for you getting into the dunes park area.Draw number type. In the old days you just got in. Now its big time popular.Highway road rules, the boys hide everywhere.Follow the signs.You cant get your vehicle down to the actual waterline any longer, 75ft back now. Remember you'll need the yellow flag pole attached to the front bumper area.Safety. There private parks too. The state park is a family spot too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need a recreation passport to get into any state park. You will also need both parts of the ORV sticker (ORV permit and Trail Permit). You will need to purchase/bring an orange safety flag, must be mounted to the front bumper and extend at least 10' up in the air. If you are going on a weekend you need to get a voucher the evening before to secure your entry time onto the dunes. Does not mean you have to go to stay, but you at least need to drive through the gate once during your "voucher period" but then can come and go as you please throughout the day.

ORV stickers, recreational passport and flags are all sold in town - most of the local shops even have a variety of hardware and brackets available to get your dune flag mounted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The park is almost full for the year. You better get online and get a campground now if you are staying in the state campground. I think you need to stay in the campground if you want to ride the dunes on the weekends. Check it out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a recreation passport to get into any state park. You will also need both parts of the ORV sticker (ORV permit and Trail Permit). You will need to purchase/bring an orange safety flag, must be mounted to the front bumper and extend at least 10' up in the air. If you are going on a weekend you need to get a voucher the evening before to secure your entry time onto the dunes. Does not mean you have to go to stay, but you at least need to drive through the gate once during your "voucher period" but then can come and go as you please throughout the day.

ORV stickers, recreational passport and flags are all sold in town - most of the local shops even have a variety of hardware and brackets available to get your dune flag mounted.
Thanks for the info, does this mean I dont really need to worry about getting the stuff online before hand, I can go into a store and get it just like you would a fishing or hunting license?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks for the info, does this mean I dont really need to worry about getting the stuff online before hand, I can go into a store and get it just like you would a fishing or hunting license?
Stickers/permits and flags are readily available and not under any kind of constraint. But reservations for the state campground are and though I've never used anywhere else, I assume the private parks are probably busy too. Vouchers you can pick up the evening before as it was said.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stickers/permits and flags are readily available and not under any kind of constraint. But reservations for the state campground are and though I've never used anywhere else, I assume the private parks are probably busy too. Vouchers you can pick up the evening before as it was said.
X2 on camping - the state park online reservations are available 6 months in advance and fills up quoclly, especially for holidays. The other campgrounds and hotels/motels also fill up quickly for the holidays and other busy weekends.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X2 on camping - the state park online reservations are available 6 months in advance and fills up quoclly, especially for holidays. The other campgrounds and hotels/motels also fill up quickly for the holidays and other busy weekends.
We reserved a cabin in the area last month. Pretty excited to spend some time up there

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
this is the place that made me fall in love with Jeeps.
I went with some friends...we had 3 TJ's all of about 2-3in lifts 33's.
Great time!

·
Registered
81 Posts
We went in the fall, and it was a blast! Tire pressure varies depending on type, most people go into the 10-20psi range. I can't remember what we did... I think around 15. We run 35" MTs, and it was great for us. I've seen posters say they go down to 3-6psi, but you can roll your tire right off the rim if you're not extremely careful. We bought our flag and mount at a store right outside the dune entrance (also has free air machines to fill your tires back up... they appreciate you spending some money to keep it free for everyone), and our stickers at the dune office (as you drive in). Lots of stores sell the stickers, too. It's true that you can't get to the water's edge any more.

A couple tips... don't drive through puddles! They can be much deeper than they look, and some nice Jeeps have gotten submerged in a bad way. Also, tie down large loose objects - ours hit the roof a couple times (we didn't have the means to go topless sadly).

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
We went in the fall, and it was a blast! Tire pressure varies depending on type, most people go into the 10-20psi range. I can't remember what we did... I think around 15. We run 35" MTs, and it was great for us. I've seen posters say they go down to 3-6psi, but you can roll your tire right off the rim if you're not extremely careful. We bought our flag and mount at a store right outside the dune entrance (also has free air machines to fill your tires back up... they appreciate you spending some money to keep it free for everyone), and our stickers at the dune office (as you drive in). Lots of stores sell the stickers, too. It's true that you can't get to the water's edge any more.

A couple tips... don't drive through puddles! They can be much deeper than they look, and some nice Jeeps have gotten submerged in a bad way. Also, tie down large loose objects - ours hit the roof a couple times (we didn't have the means to go topless sadly).

Have fun!
The rules have changed for 2015, you must have all three permits (recreation passport, ORV and trails) PRIOR to entering the park. They are sold at what is now called the welcome center (formally voucher center) right up the road. Unless you're towing in the sand toy, you must be dune ready prior to going to the gate. That means all stickers, the flag mounted and aired down. I guess this year there has been a run of idiots not airing down and clogging up the entry road.

As for airing down, I ran 13 PSI front and 10 PSI in my truck when I had it. I haven't gotten the Jeep to SL yet. Obviously bead retention will depend on the wheel, tire and a host of other factors but I know plenty of people in other rigs running <10 PSI with no issue and some of them are pretty aggressive on the sand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on SL. First off I will say we are booking the same cabin to do this trip again except we are going for a full week. We spent 3 out of 5 days at the dunes, and we still didnt have our fill. The girls got to catch some sun, while the boys got to play with toys. I swear I could have watched people go up the test hill all day.

Would highly recommend this to anyone who comes across this topic, one hell of a time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts