Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being a member since July, and starting many new threads just for one question I think it's time to condense info and start a build thread.

Since July I've switched phones and haven't collected all of my old pics yet, so I'll just say what's done up to now. When I got her she was stock minus a tj front bumper, a rear tube bumper and 30" tires.
(see first pic)
I removed the old smelly carpet within a week, put new seat covers on it, and cleaned everything inside and out. Then I realized that the stock headlights were less than acceptable, so I got 55w 6000k HIDs from DDM tuning and Rampage conversion housings. Needless to say I can see to drive at night now.
Next came a 4" lift kit from Rough Country with their dana 30 diff. covers and 1.5" wheel spacers. The lift kit fought me the whole way but I won the war.

Since then I've had some problems with a leaky fuel line, a broken wheel spacer, and an ongoing blow by problem.

But here's how she sits today
(see other pics)

My future plans and such will be discussed later. And I'm new to this, so any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Looks like a good start. Don't get discouraged, the problems will be endless, afterall it is 18 yrs old.

I have 1 question, why the wheel spacers? 30" tires on stock Jeep wheels, wouldn't require any spacers, or is it just a cosmetic thing? Cause the 1 1/2" spacers would put undo pressure on the ball joints and bearings, I just can't see the reason for using them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spacers are about 80% cosmetic honestly. Since the lift I've had them off once for a week, and could only notice a small difference in turns.

I've actually got a set of 15x8 wheels with around 3.5 inches of back spacing laying around waiting for paint and tires. When those get put on, I'll probably ditch the wheel spacers unless they're needed for clearance

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have a question for all of you fabricators. I'm interested in a 120v flux core welder. And I know that some people are going to say to save up hundreds or thousands for a good welder, but I'm going to learn to weld with this and my first main project is to fix my floor. I've done enough research to know that a 120v will be good enough for this.

But my problem is that I have a lot of ideas with diamond plate aluminum (fenders and body armor type stuff). And I haven't found any welders that can use accessories and weld aluminum. Do any of you have an answer to my problem?

·
Registered
829 Posts
So I have a question for all of you fabricators. I'm interested in a 120v flux core welder. And I know that some people are going to say to save up hundreds or thousands for a good welder, but I'm going to learn to weld with this and my first main project is to fix my floor. I've done enough research to know that a 120v will be good enough for this. But my problem is that I have a lot of ideas with diamond plate aluminum (fenders and body armor type stuff). And I haven't found any welders that can use accessories and weld aluminum. Do any of you have an answer to my problem?
For aluminum, you will need a mig welder and spool gun. You might be able to feed aluminum wire through a traditional mig gun if you are able to keep the wire path very straight. Aluminum wire will kink and bend if you look at it wrong, which is why the spool gun is used (very short wire path). Another choice would be some kind if TIG welder, but that's bigger bucks and a bit harder to master.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You can by a stick welder and try alum rods but if you are a beginner you will be grinding off and trying again and again and again alum stick sucks to weld and takes a lot of skill and patience that most welders lack not mention I am not even sure if they sell a rod you can weld vertical welds with alum.

Having said all of that I am a fan of give it a try!

Chief

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You would need either a mig with shielding gas and a spool gun, or a tig welder to weld aluminum diamond plate. You can't do it with a stick and aluminum rods cause the aluminum isn't thick enough and all you are going to do is burn through.

I have a 120V flux core mig welder that I bought from harbor freight. I have done numerous jobs on my YJ with it and it performs flawlessly. If you are doing body tin welding, use the .030 wire, and welding anything thicker use the .035 wire. The only things I can say bad about the welder is that it will only hold a 2lb spool of wire, and it has a lot of plastic parts in it that are going to fail, and you can't buy any replacement parts for it. It is basically a disposable welder, hence the money they want for it. But it's perfect for the person wanting to learn how.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I picked up a used lincoln migpak 10 a while back and it will run flux core or gas. I think for a little more money you could get a combo like that instead of just a flux wire. You dont have to buy a regulator and tank right off the bat either. Just my thoughts. I have about 3 hours of welding experience...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New question guys. I'm looking for a rear bumper with a tire carrier because my factory mount has ruined my hinges and its starting to do a number on the tailgate. I think I've narrowed it down to a smittybilt/tuff country/rugged ridge or a barricade bumper. Do you guys have any opinions on the two?

Here's the barricade bumper. I like that it is adjustable for different backspace. And it doesn't have the tube going straight up, which I remember someone on here saying caused their bumper to rust because the cap broke and let water in. Barricade Classic Wrangler Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier J20852 (87-06 Wrangler YJ & TJ) - Free Shipping J20852 - Free Shipping over $75!

Here's the tuff country. Its a little cheaper than the barricade.
87 06 Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ Rock Crawler Rear Bumper Tire Carrier Swing D Rings | eBay

Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
878 Posts
My buddy runs the tuff country one and it seems to be pretty good. Its also easy to add a rack to on top of the spare..

Or you could invest that money in metal fab tools and go from there. Build your own and have tools to build fenders, rock sliders, front bumper...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New question guys. My 4.0 suffers from blow by, and I want to fix it. Or at least put a good band aid on it. The question is, how do you guys recommend doing that? I was thinking new CCV fittings, hoses, and cleaning the valve cover.

And does anyone know where I can find the fittings or their part numbers

·
Registered
146 Posts
After being a member since July, and starting many new threads just for one question I think it's time to condense info and start a build thread.

Since July I've switched phones and haven't collected all of my old pics yet, so I'll just say what's done up to now. When I got her she was stock minus a tj front bumper, a rear tube bumper and 30" tires.
(see first pic)
I removed the old smelly carpet within a week, put new seat covers on it, and cleaned everything inside and out. Then I realized that the stock headlights were less than acceptable, so I got 55w 6000k HIDs from DDM tuning and Rampage conversion housings. Needless to say I can see to drive at night now.
Next came a 4" lift kit from Rough Country with their dana 30 diff. covers and 1.5" wheel spacers. The lift kit fought me the whole way but I won the war.

Since then I've had some problems with a leaky fuel line, a broken wheel spacer, and an ongoing blow by problem.

But here's how she sits today
(see other pics)

My future plans and such will be discussed later. And I'm new to this, so any input is appreciated.
Looks good. I like the color.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts