Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm looking to lift my wife's YJ and put 31/10.50/15's on it. I was thinking of staying with a 2 inch lift. But what do y'all suggest.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you're looking to fit 31's, a two inch lift would probably be great. But it depends what your wife is going to be doing with the jeep as to the best way to lift it. You can do a suspension, body, or shackle lift.

Body lifts are cheap, and can be easy. But on a jeep this old bolts can be rusted and can make a body lift hell to put on. Plus most people recommend not going higher than 1" because it can just get unsafe with body roll.

Shackle lifts can be about as cheap as body lifts, and can be as expensive as suspension lifts. They aren't very difficult to put on. If your shackles don't articulate the way the way they should, then new bushings or new shackles with new bushings can improve articulation and ride quality. Again people don't recommend going big on shackle lifts either. Because not only do they look really bad when they go big, but tall shackles can be unsafe since they can allow lateral movement of the leaf spring.

Suspension lifts offer the most variety in price, contents, and quality. There are countless threads on this forum that discuss "my lift is better than yours". So I'm not going to open that can of worms. But I will say that my RC 4" lift does its job well, but it does ride a little rough. I'm VERY happy with it though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I found the parts for the valve cover. Thanks to a thread titled "PCV valve" in the yj tech section.

Old thread but I have the NAPA part numbers for the CCV valves... the elbows (ccv valve or pvc valve whatever you want to call it) the napa part number is 630-1076 and 630-1078 and the grommets... the part that goes underneath the ccv valve is 630-1411

·
Registered
146 Posts
And I am by no means no expert on anything, especially this stuff. But I've spent hours researching on this forum, many other websites, and magazines. So I know very little about a lot of stuff. This is all just my opinion.
Kool thanks. We do a lot of trails. So we may go with the 4 inch lift.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I used everything that came with my 4" kit. Namely a transfer case drop. Some people don't like them because they decrease the clearance of the skid plate. You only lose 1.5 inches, but you're gaining the 4+" of lift. The only time I personally think it would matter is if you wheel in rocks. But to each his own

With a 4" lift you will be bordering the SYE level. Some jeeps need a SYE after a 4" lift, some don't. Keep that in mind because you don't want to spend all your money on a lift, and then need a SYE and driveshaft.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I ordered tires and wheels a couple days ago. It was a set of 5 MTR/Ks. So now I want to know how you all recommend rotating a spare in with the other four? I'm planning to rotate them every 3000 miles or so, but do I swap the spare in for a certain tire? Plus since the MTR/k is asymmetrical, does it matter if I run it on the right or left when I rotate it? If I need a spare I'll put it where it's needed of course

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got my tires mounted and balanced last Saturday. Then installed Sunday. The KJ in the picture is my buddy's, he help install them Sunday.

:iamhappy:

But now I've found that my 4wd isn't working (Damn CAD). And my rear tires have ~½" of clearance from the flares. So now I'm looking into posi lock and flares/fenders/more lift. It really never ends!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Haven't updated for a while. The jeep has been more of a DD lately because of the snow. But it's given me the chance to evaluate how the MTR's do in this weather.

As with any mud terrain, they do better in unpacked snow vs packed.
Unpacked snow-probably a solid 7.5 or 8/10
Packed snow- 7/10
Ice- 6.5-7/10
That being said, I'm glad I chose these because of the siping. I drive on trails and the road, with the occasional mud. I feel these are perfect for me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Went for a ride yesterday. Nothing extreme but it was really fun. I need some tj flares in the rear ASAP lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ordered a winch from quadratec late Wednesday night, and it got delivered on Friday! I was impressed with the shipping. Today I got everything installed, wired and pre-wound the cable. I plan on moving the solenoid under the hood when I get the wire for it.

Not that I want to get stuck, but I still want to try it out lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
tires and bumper look good! and that winch is badass. you shoulda drove up to the peak of that rock though, the jeep definitely could have handled that

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
tires and bumper look good! and that winch is badass. you shoulda drove up to the peak of that rock though, the jeep definitely could have handled that
Thanks! You're probably right about that rock. It was the first time out since the new tires and I was just getting a feel for everything. Planning to go wheeling this weekend, so hopefully some new pics then.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Got bored yesterday so I decided to make a new rope for my winch hook. The one that came with it was kind of plain and boring. Made it from neon green and black paracord, and put a loop in it for a handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I decided that the cheap plastic fog lights weren't cutting it. Plus with the winch I figured the low current draw of LEDs would be good. So instead of spending over $150 on a pair of lights, I found a pair for just under $50 on amazon. I put the new lights on the other day and I'm impressed, they're brighter than my headlights!

Now on to the next project..

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Picked up a set of rear tj flares today at a salvage yard for only $12. They came from two different TJs because one was smashed on the drivers side and the other was smashed on the passenger side. They are really faded and discolored, but I plan to bedline or rattle can them black so no big deal.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finished moving the solenoid box under the hood. I have the wire in place to do in cab winch controls. But I haven't put the switches in the dash yet.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 60 Posts