Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference in weight is there between a steel winch cable and a synthetic cable of equal length? My winch puts a load on the front springs. i'm just looking for solutions......

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
Steel cable is about half the weight of the winch in most cases, and synth line is about 10 lbs, so synth line would be around three times lighter than cable

Edit: i just ran the numbers on two identical winches (one cable, one synth line) and the difference in shipping weight was 20lbs.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JKralph. Appreciate it! That would make a difference, but at $200.00 to $300.00 it's an expensive fix.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I'm curious why the winch adds such a load to your front springs. I didn't notice much difference in weight or height or anything with mine installed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
denisbaldwin said:
I'm curious why the winch adds such a load to your front springs. I didn't notice much difference in weight or height or anything with mine installed.
I'm putting it back on today and I'll check the height difference. It just drives kinda nose first. I'm learning that I need to get my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) under control. Everything can't be perfect!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If a 100-150 pound winch is causing your jeep to drop in the front end you have very serious problems. I'm 6'3" 285 lb and I can set on my front bumper and not notice any drop in the front end. Stock springs SOA stock shocks, don't think a winch will be a problem. If you want post some pics w/out the winch and then with the winch.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put it back on yesterday and it drops about 1/4" is all. I have ordered new OME springs. I've wanted to replace them for a while. The PO had removed a leaf so it had 3 leafs in each spring pack. Thanks for everybody's help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts