Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is slipping in my newly acquired 95 wrangler. My question is the TF904 even worth rebuilding or should I just upgrade to one of the newer 4 speed auto's?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If u off road a bit then I'd upgrade to a stronger trans. Take it to a shop and have them look at it. If its like a bad torque converter or something small I'd just replace that. Did you check your fluid level? I had a auto jeep with I belive that trans and my fluid was low and it slipped so I replaced the fluid and made sure it was at the proper level and it was fine ever Sence

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I topped it off with some lucas stop slip and it's still slipping and leaking like a sieve..I think I might just have to pull it out and have a look as to why is leaking so bad. I may take your advice and upgrade to a 4.0 and the auto that comes with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine was bleeding all over the place. It was all over the trans, tcase, and skid plate. It ended up being the small seal for the shifter. You have to get to it by taking off the boot, floor cover, and shift linkage. You might want to try dropping the trans pan, adjusting the bands, and refill with the full amount of stop slip that is recommended to see if that will buy some time until you decide what route you want to take.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, same here, I'm only finding the master rebuild kits at that cost.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well of course 1500!!! your having them take the trans out too! that's the hard part. rebuilding is easy for them. if you get the trans out then drop it off it will be about what I paid. I had no 3rd gear and no reverse. I got larger bands and some other stuff but I forget. the torque converter was the most expensive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but the torque converter cost $300 just by itself, I'm actually thinking about buying the rebuild kit and doing it my self..Know of anyone who has tackled this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts