Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you paying to renew Satellite radio? I know 300 of you are going to chime in how you only listen to whats on your library in your phone. Good for you. I like Faction because I like punk. And they have a better library than I do. So what are you paying? There's a promo for 6 months $30, and then it goes to 15.99 per month. Screw that. The person on the chat on the Sirius page was useless. I know I can just subscribe for 6 months and then cancel and get another promo price, but is there a better solution? It's a PITA, and they know you won't cancel. You'll just ignore the $15.99 on your credit card and they're banking on it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just renewed my wife's car, had to tell them I wanted to cancel then they transferred me to another department and offered me the $99 a year deal, took two calls and over an hour to get it done. They wanted around $180 a year for the middle of the road subscription when you just try and renew. I do not know why they make it so painful.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
My last iteration with Sirius, their 6-month promo rate is now only available for radios that have had no service for a while. Since I garage my Mustang for the winter, I do 6-months on (the summer), cancel, wait 6 months (the winter), and then call in to get another 6-months at the promo rate.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Take the 6 months for $30 and run with it. Just remember to do it all again later. you won't find a better deal. I'm sitting on the same deal right now and know 2 friends that are doing the same thing. I don't think its an actual deal more then a congratulations that you didn't fall for the gouged price BS.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's actually a great idea. They can't charge you if there's no funds on the card.
Absolutely the way to do it. Use payment that can't be auto rebilled. Once the initial term is up they will start calling to collect payment because they can't bill card. Tell them you will only stay on at the promo rate. Done this at least 6 different times on 3 different vehicles.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I heard it's a PITA to cancel. I'd use a prepaid credit card.
That's actually a great idea. They can't charge you if there's no funds on the card.
Pretty sure you have to give a CC just to get the service. Buts its really not that big of a deal to cancel. All you have to do is call them and tell them and its done, you can even do it online.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We did the 6 month for $30 after the free trial ended and just got hit with the $120 renewal. Wish i'd thought about the pre-paid thing or set a reminder on the calendar...
Oh well, we'll cancel it in November. We may reup if they do the $99 for a year thing again like they did with my truck but we'll see. I wouldn't pay more than $99 for the year.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I get 5 months for $25. I have to do this every 5 months. PITA. It takes about a half hour of talking to them on the phone for them to finally give you that rate. You have to threaten to cancel and cite spodify for them to 'fine' that promotion. They first offer you 12 mo for $99 and I alway have to point out that is more that $5 per mo.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Absolutely the way to do it. Use payment that can't be auto rebilled. Once the initial term is up they will start calling to collect payment because they can't bill card. Tell them you will only stay on at the promo rate. Done this at least 6 different times on 3 different vehicles.
A few years back I give them a card that I knew would expire before the end of the subscription. They emailed that they needed a new credit card to renew. I ignored it. They never shut the service off and three months later i started getting collection notices and phone calls from their offshore collection team. I told them i didn't want it renewed which is why i never gave them a new card #. They insisted I owed them for the three months they left the service on. I told them they were barking up the wrong tree. They continued calling. I contacted Sirius and got a USA based rep, explained the situation and she wrote it off. Then she offered me the $99 renewal which I accepted. I now just add a tickler to my calendar to remind me when the subscription is expiring and I call them a week before it expires to cancel. I've done this the last three years and i still pay just $99.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I have done the "bill me" thing for years, and with that, avoided giving them any credit card info.

However, with my last renewal, I was told that unless I give them a re-billable credit card, there is now a significant "bill me" surcharge added on. Who do they think they are, Verizon?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This thread reminded me that my subscription expires on June 21st.
So I'm on the phone now.
1st offer-12 months for $99
2nd offer-6 months for $47
3rd offer-5 months for $30

That's the best they claimed they had. So I told them to cancel. Then I called back and got the following.

4th offer-12 months for $99
5th offer- 5 months for $25....SOLD
I'm good till Nov 12th
Al together about 10min worth of phone time

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep, I just renew the 5 months for $25 deal every time it's up. I put them on speaker while I make dinner or whatever, no big deal. Wish I didn't have to go through all that but it's worth it for the savings IMO. Not really taking up time, just a bit of a hassle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
@doctorsteve ever consider spotify? I has a better library for sure and you can also download the music to your devices..

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you download music via wifi at home is it data free to listen in the car?
Is there a limit to how much you can download
I don't believe it uses data since it caches the songs in your device's storage. And you're only limited by the storage capacity of your device. I use this frequently in conjunction with satellite radio and love having both

·
Registered
305 Posts
@doctorsteve ever consider spotify? I has a better library for sure and you can also download the music to your devices..
From OP's post:

"I know 300 of you are going to chime in how you only listen to whats on your library in your phone. Good for you. I like Faction because I like punk. And they have a better library than I do."

Why would you pitch Spotify when he already said he's not interested?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't believe it uses data since it caches the songs in your device's storage. And you're only limited by the storage capacity of your device. I use this frequently in conjunction with satellite radio and love having both
Might have to check that out then. I could use one of my old smart phones.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have to call them to get the good promos. I actually renewed mine yesterday, 5 months for $25. that is worth it to me, the 18$ a month is NOT worth it at all, because most of that money goes tot stupid bull that I don't like at all.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts