Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - I know there must be posts on this, but where is the best place to mount the magnetic SirusXM antenna in a 97 Wrangler? Some posts state the center rollbar, but my soundbar is right against it, and the hardtop (on for the winter) lays right on top of the rollbar. There is no room to mount it on top of the center rollbar :confused:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
I put my XM antenna under the center rollbar hoop padding on my '97 TJ which cleared under my hardtop.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jerry. I searched and found your posts on your method, but couldn't see the picture you referenced because the post was dated in 2009, I believe. I will try to find the rollbar 'hoop' you reference.....:thumb:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
The rollbar "hoop" is just the main rollbar piece that is immediately above the front seat backs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine is on the dash in front of the driver. It sets behind and against the 'back' of the black plastic that surrounds the driver's cluster and it doesn't move or slide at all.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is on the dash in front of the driver. It sets behind and against the 'back' of the black plastic that surrounds the driver's cluster and it doesn't move or slide at all.
That is EXACTLY where I intended to mount it, until I read not to put it on the dash. I have read that it is best to have it mounted to metal, but i assumed having it in clear view of the windshield would have been best.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
Sirius & XM satellites are up in the sky, not down low where the antenna being able to "see" through the windshield would be best. Satellite signals come straight down from the overhead satellites and they pass through the fiberglass hard top and vinyl soft tops like they weren't even there. Being on top of the Jeep assures the antenna's view of the satellite, which is a "line of sight" type of signal, will never be obstructed by steel objects like windshield frames, rollbars, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had mine professionally installed by a local shop who works on "a lot" of the local Jeeps here in CO. They said they have really great luck with installing it on the dash though I may experience some issues in some of the canyons. Well, after traveling/playing all around the Foothills and Rockies this Summer, I have experienced only a couple of canyons that 'steal' my signal. It only lasts a second though (unless Stella would be stopped in the dead zone, of course *has yet to happen*) and then the signal is back. For me, the antenna being mounted on the dash (and out of any risk of unexpected rain, intense CO sun, me forgetting something, etc) is perfect. I have the Bluetooth option, too, with the phone mic attached to the steering column, and have yet to drop a call. Maybe mine isn't perfect because of the canyon dead zones but it's 99.9% perfect! I wonder if I would lose those same signals (in really deep canyons) even if it was on the roll cage? I'm perfectly happy with my setup, regardless. All spring/summer/fall and MAYBE I've lost a total of 15sec.???? :thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had mine on the back edge of the hood directly centered on the cowl vent. It looked like it belonged there with the bumpstops for the windshield.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to go the rollbar route. As Jerry states, he put his directly in the center, but I also seen posts where others have mounted it on either the driver or passenger rollbar where they meet the center hoop. Quadratech sells that $25 metal and velcro adapter, but I think mounting it under the rollbar padding on the rollbar will suffice.

For some reason, my fatory hardtop has this 'ridge support' that is directly against my center rollbar, and the soundbar is dead against the other side of the rollbar :banghead:. Assuming the antenna has to be facing directly up, I cannot see why the left or right would't be as good as the center. The signals 'don't depend' on the antenna being in the center of the vehicle, as long as the top of the antenna is facing up at it's highest point.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
This is how my sirius is set up:

The radio head is mounted TO the dash (small fender washers behind the bezel to help prevent breaking).

The antenna is mounted on top of the passenger side roll bar in the spot where there is no padding. The wiring is placed behind the window channel and then tucked under the defrost vents bezel. Keeps the wiring really clean! My antenna head has a magnet and sticks right to the roll bar.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is how my sirius is set up:

The radio head is mounted TO the dash (small fender washers behind the bezel to help prevent breaking).

The antenna is mounted on top of the passenger side roll bar in the spot where there is no padding. The wiring is placed behind the window channel and then tucked under the defrost vents bezel. Keeps the wiring really clean! My antenna head has a magnet and sticks right to the roll bar.

THANKS! That is where I was debating to mount it, but I think it would interfere with the door surrounds I use when I put the soft top on, as they bolt right there. Instead, I was going to mount it to the rear of the driver's side roll bar (to not interfere with the radio antenna), right under the roll bar padding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts