Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone had any issues with SiriusXM signal strength? I recently had an aftermarket radio installed with Sirius and they had to put a new tuner in. I previously had Sirius included on my stock radio and never had any issues at all. Right now I've had it for 3 days and it has worked maybe 5% of the time. It says no signal and cuts out constantly when it does find it. I see the little black cube antenna is on the top of the dash at the window in the middle. I will be returning to the shop that installed it but I just wanted to hear other experiences and possible solutions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The factory SAT antenna is mounted ontop of the soundbar... You can purchase the factory one off of eBay and Google photos of it and install it where it belongs.. I have occasional drop outs (due to location) but 99% of the time it's good... I guess this is considered normal. Your aftermarket antenna seems to be inferior....... Be warned though, the factory Mopar XM/Sirius antenna uses a FAKRA connection to the stock radio... Check your aftermarket radios XM/Sirius antenna connection. You may need an adapter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory SAT antenna is mounted ontop of the soundbar... You can purchase the factory one off of eBay and Google photos of it and install it where it belongs.. I have occasional drop outs (due to location) but 99% of the time it's good... I guess this is considered normal. Your aftermarket antenna seems to be inferior.
is it possible to connect the original antenna on the sound bar to the new radio?

Edit nevermind I found the answer :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Like Jnyvio said, the connector on the Mopar unit is the same as most modern sat connectors, so it is likely it will connect to the new tuner. However, there can be differences in how they are keyed. My VW AM/FM antenna had the same style connector but would not connect to the FAKRA-Motorola adaptor because it had an extra key that I had to shave off. Worked fine though.

Here's an interesting document showing the different types, on page 9:
http://www.rosenberger.com/0_documents/de/catalogs/ba_automotive/AUTO_FAKRA_Catalog_2014.pdf

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put in an aftermarket head unit and used a new satellite radio antenna and had the same problem no matter where I put it on my dash. Once I mounted it outside, I have had zero reception issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put in an aftermarket head unit and used a new satellite radio antenna and had the same problem no matter where I put it on my dash. Once I mounted it outside, I have had zero reception issues.
where did you mount it outside?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My stock connection is terrible. If i drive under literally anything it goes away and takes time to come back on. When i went downtown in my city for the first time the music was cutting out when i got in between big buildings, making it completely unplayable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As anyone had any issues with SiriusXM signal strength? I recently had an aftermarket radio installed with Sirius and they had to put a new tuner in. I previously had Sirius included on my stock radio and never had any issues at all. Right now I've had it for 3 days and it has worked maybe 5% of the time. It says no signal and cuts out constantly when it does find it. I see the little black cube antenna is on the top of the dash at the window in the middle. I will be returning to the shop that installed it but I just wanted to hear other experiences and possible solutions.
Edit: I forgot to include that my FM/AM radio is also not picking up much other than static. What would cause this? Anything to do with the satellite antenna?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Edit: I forgot to include that my FM/AM radio is also not picking up much other than static. What would cause this? Anything to do with the satellite antenna?

Had the same problem with the FM/AM radio only to find that the antenna hadn't been connected. Separate antenna from the satellite.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Most people do not realize that Sirius and SiriusXM use different satellites. All new aftermarket tuners are SiriusXM. My stock unit was Sirius (check your faceplate). Newer satellite radio tuners are designated as "SiriusXM" and use the XM satellites which are stationary and much lower on the southern horizon for users in the U.S. than the Sirius satellites which move in a figure-8 shaped orbit centered somewhere over Iowa/Minnesota. Only radios designated as "Sirius" still use the orbiting Sirius satellites, which are apparently being phased out in favor of stationary satellites.

The difference in satellite locations made a huge difference in the canyons around Moab. I lost the signal MUCH more with the new SiriusXM tuner than with Sirius. I have minimized signal loss by installing the Browning BR-Trucker Satellite Radio Antenna ($36 on Amazon). It provides much better reception than the cheesy little antenna they give you with the tuner...at least it does for me. It also uses thick RG-58 cable which is less prone to damage than the fragile micro-thin cable on the normal antenna. I mounted the antenna on an extension attached to my Teraflex hinge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts