Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is a topic that's been beaten to death, but in my reading/searching I can't quite figure out the right way to go.

I have a 2007 JKU. Had some bad luck with tires going out on me, so I'm getting a set of new tires in a about 2 weeks - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT. I'd like to use the opportunity to get some new wheels as well in black - either a "nicer" set of stock 17's (Rubicon, Willy's, etc) or a set of aftermarket steel wheels.

At this point I'm leaning towards an aftermarket steel set, both because of price and I like the look better:

Vision 85 Soft 8 Wheels - FREE SHIPPING from AutoAnything

Seems to me that a set of 5x5 bolt pattern, 17x8's will work.

What I'm a little lost on is offset/backspacing. On the sets I'm looking at, I'm seeing +0 and -12 (4.5 backspace?) options. My understanding is the negative offsets are more aggressive and the wheels would stick out more (which I am fine with), but there could be negative effects and wear on suspension parts (which I am not at all OK with).

In summary, two questions:

-On 100% stock setup with 265/70/17 tires, what kind of offsets/backspacing should I be looking for? Is -12 OK, or going to cause problems?
-For an aftermarket set of steel wheels, will I need a new set of lug nuts?

If it helps at all, I'm a big fan of the way these look:

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Going to try to sum this up a little better and be less wordy since I'm looking to buy today to get them in time for the work being done next week:

17x8 steel wheels (linked below) - what offset on a stock height JKU and 265/70/17 tires to prevent any issues and undue stress on suspension components? -12mm? +0mm? None of the above?

Vision 85 Soft 8 Wheels - FREE SHIPPING from AutoAnything

If there's no perfect solution here and the recourse is I should be continuing on one set or another of stock 17's, that answer works too :)

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
for 265/70-17 you can run any backspacing from stock to 6.25" to 4.5" without any issues at all, altho the less the backspace the more they will stick out altho with 265's it wont be an issue anyway. Yes stock lug nuts can be used with steelies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for 265/70-17 you can run any backspacing from stock to 6.25" to 4.5" without any issues at all, altho the less the backspace the more they will stick out altho with 265's it wont be an issue anyway. Yes stock lug nuts can be used with steelies.
Thanks a lot for the info! Will plan to go with the +0mm then since the 4.5" of backspacing falls in those parameters. Sounds like the tire width also mitigates any issues, which is good to know too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts