Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to growing family ski trips now...over me just throwing skis in the back for myself.

We are packing up and heading to NH Christmas week. Been probably overthinking options. Will have 4 pairs of skis, 4 boot bags and probably a suitcase or 2 for normal non-skiing clothes.

I had found some prior threads. Wanted to see if anyone had any updates on how setups are holding up.

I have a Yakima Powder hound carrier - so I could get a gutter mount rack. Leaning toward Thule 300 with square bars if I go that way. Mount over rear doors should give enough space for the varied bindings. I know - the debate over mounting a rack to the hardtop raingutters, but this setup will be temporary and relatively lightweight.

Another option is the the Yakima Hitchski with the Q-tec 4 bike carrier. I like this one because then we also have a way to get bikes somewhere when the weather's nice.

Any success/feedback on either setup. Any other options out there?

·
Registered
390 Posts
With only the wife and I, we just throw our gear in the back with half of the rear seat folded down. Have travelled with 3 adults (one the back) and our ski gear. Would be too tight for 2 adults in the back, but with 2 kids shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW we often travel with 3 or 4 sets of skis (for the 2 of us), up to a length of 180cm. But the 180 cm have to be angled to allow the rear door to close, and the skis have to be outboard of the rear headrests to fit (180 cm length). My 172s fit no problem, and my wife's ski not an issue at all.

It is nice to keep your boots in the Jeep so when you put them on they are nice and toasty and flexible. Nothing worse than trying to put on 120/130 flex boots that are frozen solid.

If you have to have your gear outside the Jeep I would prefer a ski box versus having them exposed on a hitch rack. Imagine all of the crap on the back of your Jeep getting on your skis. You could put your skis into bags, but then you still have to handle the ski bag to get the skis in and out of the bag. And then where do you keep the bag? in the back of the Jeep? If you don't mind getting your gear covered in dirt then a hitch rack would free up a lot of space in the Jeep.

We also have a rear hitch and bike carrier, but when the bikes are filthy just hose them down at a wand wash. Not so easy to do with a set of skis/board etc.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
There is the Thule 9033 Tram, hitch mounted, and it carries 4 pairs of skies.
I have this one on a Thule swing away hitch mounted bike carrier with no extender. Clears the spare (stock size) fine.

Just wrap your skis/boards in Uhaul cling wrap to keep the road grime off of them. Or stick them in a drum liner (garbage bag) on one end and add another to the other end and them clamp them in the tram. Wind the stuff off when you get to the hill and throw it away. Rewrap on the way home. Takes less than 5 minutes per set of skis, boards will be faster.

The tram works but is pricey for what it is. Ski box would be much better but unless you’ve got a solid roof rack (not gutter mount), it would be a tough go. Some folks will tack boxes in mounts on the gutters but I’d rather not take the chance of them failing.

If you look at my avatar, I have the tram on and the Uhaul wrap around the skis and poles. The bit of green flapping in the wind is some wrap that blew off on the highway to where we ski.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Quadratec also has a Thule ski tram look-a-like for less money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts