Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winters coming and I need to get the jeep mountain ready. Any ski rack recommendations for a 2012 JKU with hard top?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Thule 300 mount system with 58" bars and your choice of ski/ snowboard clamps. Personally I have whatever their 6 ski one is and a dedicated snowboard rack that holds 2 you may not need to hold so many. If you are on a budget you can find all of that stuff on Craigslist for dirt cheap

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got tired of looking for used so I dipped into the TJ Savings Account and went with the full Yakima rail/tower system. Most places have the same price ~$350, but I've always had a lot of luck with free fast shipping from ORS Direct.

That first drill hole through the fiberglass hurts...

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I got tired of looking for used so I dipped into the TJ Savings Account and went with the full Yakima rail/tower system. Most places have the same price ~$350, but I've always had a lot of luck with free fast shipping from ORS Direct.

can you take a photo from the inside of your jeep? I want to see how the mounting looks from the inside? Getting ready to get a rack and trying to decide between drilling or just using the rain gutters.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No problem -- I'll grab one on the way home today.

can you take a photo from the inside of your jeep? I want to see how the mounting looks from the inside? Getting ready to get a rack and trying to decide between drilling or just using the rain gutters.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Windshield Auto part

I kept my Spiderwebshade in to block out the white wonderland but you can see the knobs (8 in total).

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Ceiling

This is a close-up of one of them. Let me know if you want a different angle and I'll catch it in the light tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
virginian said:
I know what you mean. The second one is easier and I have no regrets about drilling thru

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went with the Yakima 1A guttermount system. It is a good non-permanent system that is fine for skiis or boards but not a heavy load. Also, since this design has been around since about forever thay are easy to find on Craigslist so I got mine for about half retail or less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put the Thule tacks on my hard top to mount my ski and bike rack. I was hesitant to drill through the top, but if you do it right, it will never leak. The tracks are versatile and you can mount different types of feet and load bars. Plus they're very low profile and aren't visible after you remove the feet/load bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a ProRack system. Similar to Thule I guess. I have a 4 x snowboard lockable rack. The (whispbar) bar width on JKU means I can also fit two ProRack bike racks on the outside. The tracks are mounted the full length of the raised ridged on the hard top. Rating is about the 40kg mark. From memory, gutter mounts are not rated as high.

I travelled over 1000 miles with board etc on this setup and it is fantastic.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts