Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done everything for a TT but I still need is a new low profile skid plat.

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I installed a 1.25” BB, 1” MML and about a 3” lift. From what I have read I can put a flat skid plat on without having to change my drive shaft.

Has anyone fabricated a low profile/flat skid plate? Anyone has a design they would like to share?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Savvy is the lowest profile "bolt on" skid you can get.

With your existing 3" spring lift, any decent high clearance skid will result in an effective 6" lift as far as the drive shafts are concerned. Be prepared for a SYE and a double cardan rear drive shaft.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I dont see any way around not getting a new DC shaft and SYE along with control arms to make the new driveshaft happy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Agree with the folks above. With a lift and a TT you will need a DC shaft. With a DC shaft you will need adjustable rear uppers at a minimum

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't forget the Savvy or Novak transfer case shifter cable that will be needed after moving the driveline.

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
a completely flat skid plate wont work with the 241 TC, its huge and the tub would need to be heavily massaged. I had to massage mine a bit with UCF's ultra high clearance skid and I believe the same is true of the Savvy under armor.

being an LJ will help some, but its still equivalent to running ~6" lift, which gets into CV shaft and adj control arms territory.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the Savvy skid on my TJ and the UCF on my LJ. Both Jeeps have the 241OR transfer case. Of the two, I like the Savvy skid the best, mainly because you can remove the skids and the drive-train stays in place. This is due to the Savvy cross member that supports the drive-train. FWIW, both installs required denting the floor to provide clearance.

The Savvy system also required a fair amount messing with the exhaust to get it to fit. I ultimately used stainless steel band clamps to give myself maximum flexibility for adjustments. The final result was worth it though. I ended up with 17 3/4" of ground clearance at the back of the skid plate. This was with 3" lift Nth Degree springs and 33x12.50R17 tires. Now my TJ on 33's has more ground clearance at the skids than my LJ on 35's.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't think he will need a SYE since it's a Rubicon

Since it's a Rubicon the SYE isn't needed. However, the angle of the transfer case, in relation to the rear pinion, will be changed significantly. Since it's an LJ, adjustable control arms will be needed at a minimum and possibly a driveshaft. I ended up putting a double cardan driveshaft in both my TJ and LJ.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the Savvy skid on my TJ and the UCF on my LJ.

The Savvy looks good. I love the concept of the independent cross-member.

I have the UCF Ultra High Clearance transfer plate skid along with their engine skid. I'm using the Lopro transmission mount on a 4-1/4" lift and 33" tires and NP231 transfer case resulting in 19 inch ground clearance at the skid. I like it a lot, but it took some light modification and definitely required exhaust work.

Note (in the third photo) the engine skid down-brackets off of the engine mounts and the exhaust work under the engine pan where the two manifold pipes come together.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I don't think he will need a SYE since it's a Rubicon

Ah I missed it being a rubicon. My bad.

Another vote for savvy here. Its a high tuck and the ability to run without a skid is quite beneficial. I am sitting at 20 1/8" at the frame with worn out springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts