Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The skid plate on my 99 TJ (6cyl/manual) rotted away around the bolts and was hanging down about 6 inches on the drivers side. I probably drove about 10 miles before I saw it. I have replaced the skid plate, but noticed a vibration at idle --almost seems like a rough idle. Not sure where to look to see if those 10 miles with the transmission out of place caused any damage that would cause the issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
That could be bad. Trans and engine were wrenched out of position. In addition to the u-joints running at terrible angles, the motor mounts took a lot of incorrect force. The TC shifter linkage might have become tweaked. I'm surprised you were still able to shift or that you didn't notice something really off in the shifter angle and/or operation.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your skid plate (transmission cross-member) rusted to the point of catastrophic failure, then you should take a hard look at your frame too. Odds are that it is also about to fail.

·
Commercial Member
7,070 Posts
If your skid plate (transmission cross-member) rusted to the point of catastrophic failure, then you should take a hard look at your frame too. Odds are that it is also about to fail.
Yep I was just about to mention that.
Look at the rear lower control arm mount location, I bet the frame is bad there too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been over the frame with a hammer. It sure is rusty...but solid. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Jeep shifts smooth, plenty of power.mostly seems like a rough idle, could be vibration from bad motor mounts.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts