Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just removed my skid plate on my 05 LJ, now I'm trying to rebuilt it, what is the best way to do so, i have 2 six ton jacks, 2 two ton jacks, a few blocks of wood and a 2 ton floor jack, so my question is where to jack from and how to fix this with out causing problems for my self or my jeep

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I pulled mine when I serviced the transmission. Reinstalling wasn't too difficult. I balanced the crossmember/skid plate on the floor jack using a 1x8 board and slowly raised the jack, making sure all the bolt holes lined up, including the bolt holes for the transmission support. The jack will push the transfer case back up while raising the skid plate. I had the Jeep on jack stands to give me a little more room to work with.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
yall do understand the t-case skid is the only thing holding the back half of the drivetrain up, right? there are three mounting points of the engine/trans/t-case...2 motor mounts and the tranny mount.

you need to support the transmission when dropping the t-case skid.

I don't know what you mean "rebuilt" the skid??? You can clean it to bare metal with a wire wheel cone on an angle grinder, and coat it with something like Chassis Saver or POR15. If it's rusted out bad, just replace it...with something called a tummy tuck. If the nutserts are spinning in the frame, you'll need to replace them, see this write-up.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
As far as lifting and holding it in place, a transmission jack works well. Don't tighten all the bolts down till you have ALL of them started.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts