Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just realized I can't edit my posts and I didn't include my vehicle info. This is for an '02 TJ. I'm just not sure which of the Auto Rust products will fit this section of the frame. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just had this same issue, didn't find out until i went to drop it to easily change my u-joints for the front drive-shaft.....but since its the frame the only real solution I believe is to get it welded. I took it to my buddy who just cut out the rotted section, and instead of simply just patching it up, he put in a block/bracket inside for the bolts to actually be threaded into. They do sell sections for replacements...which this is one of the ones offered. I guess you should just go talk to a local body shop, maybe a restoration shop?, and see what they can do. I was going to buy the section thats for sale, but if i went that route, i would have had to replace more sections at the same time which i couldn't afford (i seem to have a decent amount of problem areas haha)

I did go a little stupid for a while, just until I got another paycheck to afford it, but i took the tow straps (like the bright orange ones for trailers) and used 3 of them strapping it up all crazy like...i mean it held fine, didnt feel the safest ...but lasted me that short time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. So do you (or anyone) happen to know which of the kits fit this section? I think I could get away with just replacing this section, since the rest of the frame is okay.

I didn't realize anything was wrong until my transmission dropped down about 4 inches. :eek: Needless to say I don't feel very safe driving it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The one you linked in the first post is the right one i believe, But i would still call up shops and get quotes before ordering it. (Unless you can weld yourself)

If you happen to be friendly with anybody in body shops or scrap metal places, you might be able to get a deal on the metal to save $ over buying the part. (another reason on getting quotes first so make sure get parts & labor prices)

Since it dropped down...if it's just sitting there until you get it fixed...fix it up in place with a jack or something so it doesn't stress/damage any parts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I would park it until you can get it fixed.

·
Commercial Member
7,214 Posts
Thanks for the info. So do you (or anyone) happen to know which of the kits fit this section? I think I could get away with just replacing this section, since the rest of the frame is okay.

I didn't realize anything was wrong until my transmission dropped down about 4 inches. :eek: Needless to say I don't feel very safe driving it!
It's 100% NOT safe to drive it in that condition. You risk damaging many driveline components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts