Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 wrangler sport 4.0--2" budget lift blocks.

Going to drop skid plate, replace (1) nutset then por 15 frame.
Question-should I put a few galvanized washers on the 6 bolts holding skid plate in between skid plate and frame to allow water not to sit in between frame and skid plate to minimize rust?

Question 2-after I grind heavy rust spots, and marine clean frame, I can then brush on the por-15 or do I have to ruff up existing frame paint? Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Question-should I put a few galvanized washers on the 6 bolts holding skid plate in between skid plate and frame to allow water not to sit in between frame and skid plate to minimize rust?

Question 2-after I grind heavy rust spots, and marine clean frame, I can then brush on the por-15 or do I have to ruff up existing frame paint? Thanks

I have been considering the same thing to prevent rust. Just a single washer to allow the area to dry.

I also frequently blast this area with PB Blaster.

J

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I am a firm believer in adding washers there, eliminates any trapped moisture and provides airflow to keep it dry. Did mine last year after repairing the rust. An 1/8" space cannot have any possible affect on the driveline.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I had one washer under each bolt with the same idea of rust prevention (although I have zero rust) but had a very annoying creaking sound as the frame flexed. I removed the washers and the sound went away.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you said "under each bolt". and you heard creaking? Im talking about putting washer in-between skid plate and frame, not on bolt head under skid plate. Please clarify where you put your washer and had "creaking" sound.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Sorry I meant under each bolt between the skid plate and frame. Not sure why it made noise and I'm not sure if anyone else has had problems like that but I thought I would share in case anyone else does.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Just took care of some rust on my frame. Rough up the paint to give the POR15 something to bite on to. Then Marine clean, then rinse with water. Make certain area is "bone dry" before painting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok--so maybe ill try the washer idea and see if i get creaking. I think its makes sense to have an air pocket there and should not impact structural intergrity. Thanks again for clarification

Rinse after metal prep? Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The frame rust I have seen in this area always appears to have started inside the frame and not at the skid to frame junction...

·
Registered
703 Posts
ok--so maybe ill try the washer idea and see if i get creaking. I think its makes sense to have an air pocket there and should not impact structural intergrity. Thanks again for clarification

Rinse after metal prep? Thanks!
POR 15 requires two coats. I also apply a top coat of their chasis coat black. Time between coats varies with ambient temp and humidity. When you have a slight finger drag on the paint it's ready for the next coat. If the POR dries fully you will have to sand before next coat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
POR 15 requires two coats. I also apply a top coat of their chasis coat black. Time between coats varies with ambient temp and humidity. When you have a slight finger drag on the paint it's ready for the next coat. If the POR dries fully you will have to sand before next coat.
Roy==so my frame has original black frame paint on it. I scuff it with sand paper, marine clean, rinse then metal prep to etch frame paint? or just marine clean frame paint and paint with por-15? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If there is no rust and the paint is intact there is no need to sand. I would just clean the area and spray it good with additional rust preventative paint. Washers or not. If there is rust and there usually is at least a tiny little bit, I would remove the rust and damaged paint with a wire wheel or similar device and then repaint with a rust preventative zinc chromate primer and then top coat. However, I am not up on all the POR and similar stuff, I claim ignorance of all that as I do not tolerate rust to begin with.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts