Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time getting the skid plate mounting bolts. The Jeep dealership initially sent the wrong ones, now they say they're back ordered.

Any idea who might have these in stock?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
If you are talking about the transfercase skid they are 1/2-13 available anywhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys. One more dumb question: I'm removing the TC drop - can I just remove the 6 skid plate bolts, reemove the drop then install the new 6 skid plate bolts, or do I also need to remove/reinstall the other 4 nuts to the tanny as well?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Ok thanks guys. One more dumb question: I'm removing the TC drop - can I just remove the 6 skid plate bolts, reemove the drop then install the new 6 skid plate bolts, or do I also need to remove/reinstall the other 4 nuts to the tanny as well?
you don't need to remove the tranny mount nuts, but you do need to loosen them so the mount can slide. remember triangles from geometry class? pushing the assembly up will push the tranny mount back about 1/4". make sure to support the trannny in front of the skid with a bottle jack.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I know on my '97 the skid plate bolts are acorn style. I don't think regular bolts would work very well because it would be a pain to get everything aligned.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I know on my '97 the skid plate bolts are acorn style. I don't think regular bolts would work very well because it would be a pain to get everything aligned.
the YJ i was working on this past weekend also used acorn bolts...I'd just replace them with grade 8's with a washer or two...

on the jeep I was working on, the countersunk area on every hole was very badly rusted and the acorn bolts just poked through...that area seems to hold water...only thing holding the skid on was a little bit of friction...the rest of the jeep is mostly rust free.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
My '97 just has regular bolts with 'acorn style' washers.
And if you really get stuck, the front bumber bolts will fit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sheesh, I've been all over town and nobody has 13x1/2, including Home Depot, Auto Zone and a specialty bolt supply. We're talking 13m diameter x 1/2" length, right?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
No.......think about how little sense that makes. A 1/2" long bolt wouldn't be nearly long enough.

You need a 1/2" bolt (referring to the thread diameter) that has 13 threads per inch. It's a very, very common size. Go to Ace Hardware and they'll have them in many lengths. Get some that are 1.5-2" long.

Here you go: http://www.boltscience.com/

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Sheesh, I've been all over town and nobody has 13x1/2, including Home Depot, Auto Zone and a specialty bolt supply. We're talking 13m diameter x 1/2" length, right?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
13 meter diameter bolt!? damn!!!

here's a little education on standard bolts (US measurements).

Example: 1/2-13: 1/2 is the diameter, and 13 is the thread pitch - basically how many threads per inch.

If you can't find a 1/2-13 bolt at a local hardware store you need to find a store that actually carries bolts because 1/2-13 is one of the most common bolts anywhere...even home depot and lowes can't screw that up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok that makes a lot more sense. I thought 1/2" seemed pretty dang short. I'll put on my dunce cap and go sit in the corner.:doh:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Boyd Crowder said:
I was kidding. You may have been kiddin too.

In my defense, when you hear 2 bolt dimensions, they're usually diameter and length, not thread pitch.
Thread pitch is just as important though, or you will cross thread it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts