Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for a while and I can not seem to find it. I have seen a lot of JK's, and other Trucks with a front angled skid plate. I have only found ones that are for the JK (not the stock plastic ones but metal and longer) but not the TJ. I have searched "Front Sway Bar skid plate," "Front angled skid plate," etc. But no results...... if you know of any please let me know.
Thanks!

Hopefully the link works.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think most of these skid plates you've seen have been skids for the differential in their independent front suspension. In an IFS the differential does not move. Since wranglers have a live axle it would not make sense to put a fixed position skid plate I front of them. When your axle articulates, if your skid was to short, then the axle could drop below it and be useless. If it was too long then it could hang up in places where your springs are compressed. Wrangles can benefit from oil pan skids and power steering pump skids but not from a front axle skid.

If you are worried about damaging your differential cover they make skids that bolt directly to the differential and move with the axle.

I'm not sure what you have been seeing on the jk's. I've never noticed anything like that before. I'm also not the most attentive person in the world though so I may be missing it.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
OP, are you talking about the skids that come with some bumpers that protect sway bar disconnect/ replace the factory air dam?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm not familiar with where the jk sway bar is mounted, but on a Tj there is no need for a sway bar skid. The sway bar is above the frame behind the bumper. Any bumper at all will protect it. Only thing directly under the bumper of a Tj to protect is the power steering.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Yes I looked it up and it's or is similar to a sway bar/steering skid plate. But I still have yet to find one for the TJ. I'll put a link up to what I have found.
82213581AB | 2007-2015 Jeep Wrangler Steering Gear and Sway Bar Skid Plate | LeeParts.com
On the JK rubies, that is where the electric disconnect is. As already stated, on the TJ you only need a skid for your steering box. I have the M.O.R.E. one and it does just fine. There are many to choose from. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts