Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum amount I can lift the drive-train without a body lift? It seems that the tightest clearance is the top of the trans to the firewall/transmission tunnel. I plan to fab my own trans mount/skid plate. I have a cable transfer shifter, SYE, and adjustable rear CAs. Anyone have experience with a aftermarket lower clearance trans mount? If I don't even raise the drive-train a flat skid plate would be better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can probably only practically lift your drive train by about 1/2 inch but it will be so close to the floorboard (or touching) that it is not practical IMO.

A body lift is generally needed to raise the transfer case (and transmission) without cutting into the floor pan. The best way to achieve a near flat belly is to raise the body by 1.25", raise the motor by 1", use a low profile transfer case mount such as UCF or a Savvy cross member, and then have top and bottom adjustable control arms on front and back end to dial in an acceptable drive line angle. Check out the Savvy system. I have UCF but it requires minor fab work.

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
my guess is that you'd be able to raise it ~2.25" with proper trans mount. i have seen people purchase high clearance skids and space them down until they cleared the tubl they went forward with other mods that allowed them to lift it fully.

i was able to raise mine ~3.5" with a 1.25" body lift and a lopro mount from UCF. thats with the largest trans in a TJ (42RLE) and the largest TC in a TJ (241)

there was a guy on here that made his own low profile trans mount by modifying the OEM bracket. seemed reasonable enough but not sure how it turned out over the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts