Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 LJ that has a 4" lift and am running 33's as well. Before I hit the trails, I am thinking I need some under Jeep protection. you know, some skid plates. Its my DD and I dont want to put a hole or huge dent where I dont need it. I did a search and didnt get the info I really wanted. Not so much which brand to get but I would like to get a list of which protection, in order, I should get. It looks like the '05s have decent gas tank protection. I did read where someone just added the stock protection to the stock protection, i.e. they welded another stock plate to the original to make it twice as thick and not too heavy either.. beyond that, what should I get first, second, third, etc.. diff protection? oil pan? power steering? Post up.

Dana

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I wouldn't weld another plate to your stock one under the transmission/transfer case, that would just lower clearence. Oil pan protection is important and I got a 1/4 steel skid from teraflex for $40 shipped. Check that out. If you are worried about the stock skid, you can get a full underbody skid that goes from the oil pan to the transfer case. This is probably the best protection, but is pretty costly. Savvy is known to make some great skid plates and i have heard nothing but good reviews from them. I would just get an oil pan skid and run it for a while to see how it holds up. Diff skid plates may be important if you play on the rocks a lot and a steering box skid if you do a lot of drop offs or simply play on big rocks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I also went with the taraflex oil skid. Its good quality. Im doing the steering and diff covers next. I went with the high clearance skid from rough country. It gave me way more clearace over the stock skid with the 1 inch drop. But to do that take a lot more then just bolting it on. You need to do the MML, BL and SYE, or you can look up the undercover fab works lopro mount for your trans. That may be the way for you to go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Under cover Fab has a lot of good reviews on here but I went with the terraflex bellly up skid with the oil pan skid. You got to think about if you do a flatbelly youll have 1.25" bodly lift and motor mount lift. I also got the Novak transfer case shifter because the linkage tends to bind. Its a badass upgrade but its not cheap. Also If you dont have an SYE do it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have the UCF extra clearance skid... Gained 2" of belly clearance at least As stated, a lot of other mods go with a TUmmy Tuck. (TT)

I will be getting the full addon skid the attaches to it and covers trans and oil pan along with a tank skid. My tank skid is a wrinkled mess right now. That one will be first

If you are planning a TT, I highly recommend a mega short SYE... It's better for driveline angles than the standard SYE being 3" shorter. Well worth it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would prefer to not have to do a body lift at all.
Given this, do I need to replace the stock unit? You can do a TT without a body lift, but just many options and it aint cheap.
Or just focus on a couple of skid plates to add on with some diff protection front and rear?
Please advise.
Dana

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Imped said:
What's wrong with a 1" body lift? What do you see first--a body lift or a flat belly?
A flat belly :) but I still don't like the look of a body lift...

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
The first and most important item you must protect is the oil pan. Your gas tank and transfer case are already well protected, your highly vulnerable oil pan has zero protection as is. Nearly any bolt-on oil pan skidplate will be fine. Unbelievably, there is actually a stick-on (with silicone adhesive ) oil pan cover that if you happen to run across it, avoid it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first and most important item you must protect is the oil pan. Your gas tank and transfer case are already well protected, your highly vulnerable oil pan has zero protection as is. Nearly any bolt-on oil pan skidplate will be fine. Unbelievably, there is actually a stick-on (with silicone adhesive ) oil pan cover that if you happen to run across it, avoid it.
Jerry, as usual, the wisdom I am looking for.. would you agree to the following:
1)Oil Pan
2)Power Steering
3)Diffs
Dana

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not crazy about body lifts either but the 1" is almost a must for a TT unless you want to start modifying the tub. You really hardly notice it.

If you're absolutely dead set against it you could go this route:

Under Cover Fabworks, LLC - '03-'06 TJ/LJ Transfer Case Skid (No Body-Lift Req'd)(Carbon Steel)

Granted it won't be flat but you won't have the shovel hanging down there either.
I am really leaning that way, but in the aluminum rather than steel. However, aluminum isnt as slippery as steel, and its a bit pricier too.

Dana

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Jeep is up in the air enough already with a 4" lift and 33s.. another inch and the wife wont ride in it.. Plus, if I can get something to bolt in that gives me the protection I need. then I would prefer to go that way. Without the body lift, I can use the money that I would have paid for the body lift towards the higher price of the UCF stuff. But still up in the air as to what to do vs what do I need to do..

Dana

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Jerry, as usual, the wisdom I am looking for.. would you agree to the following:
1)Oil Pan
2)Diff guards
3)Power Steering
A different order was my main thought. A skidplate for the steering box is the last item in the list of items I would bother protecting. I installed one on my previous TJ but in the 12-14 years it spent on the rocks, its steering box skidplate was untouched the last time I saw it. My current TJ is fully armored and I haven't really worried that its steering box doesn't have a skidplate. It'd be pretty hard/unlikely for that location to get hit.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
A different order was my main thought. A skidplate for the steering box is the last item in the list of items I would bother protecting. I installed one on my previous TJ but in the 12-14 years it spent on the rocks, its steering box skidplate was untouched the last time I saw it. My current TJ is fully armored and I haven't really worried that its steering box doesn't have a skidplate. It'd be pretty hard/unlikely for that location to get hit.
On my TJ I had hit mine coming down off of a few rocks. But on the new CJ I wont bother until it does get hit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does any one know how much does the stock belly skid plate on a 99 wrangler weights? Also is it a one man job? And any tricks on how to get it off with out strpping the bolts? I have an oil leak and is landing right on the plate.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Does any one know how much does the stock belly skid plate on a 99 wrangler weights? Also is it a one man job? And any tricks on how to get it off with out strpping the bolts? I have an oil leak and is landing right on the plate.
Not sure what the stock skid weighs but it is definitely a one man job. Support the transmission, undo six bolts connected to frame, undo four transfer case mount nuts, remove skid then install new unit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts