Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Skid Plates

7K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Mudman1 
#1 ·
Looking for skid plates for the bottom of my 2010 JKU. What is the best bang for the buck ? They all seem to be made from 3/16 steel. So what separates the top from the bottom of the ladder. Fit ? Finish ? Seems to be a vary wide range of prices.

#4 ·
I like my rockhard skids as well. Running oil/transmission and transfer case skid. Probably should run the tank skid as well because I have crushed the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I would do as few skids a possible. The factory tank skid is tough as it is a special alloy and it can be removed to allow any dents to be beat out. A skid will cost you some ground clearance and the overall weight will drop you as well as robbing power. With a little work you can flat bottom the jeep and do a single 3/8" aluminum skid from side to side. It really depends on your intended use and driving ability. Take a look at Genright's flat belly skid. Its pricey but you could always have a local material shop cut the plate to whatever size you need.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 JKU and wheel it pretty hard. I have the stock gas tank skid and the stock transfer case skids. Both have taken a beating. I would not spend money on aftermarket replacements. I do have a rock hard oil pan/transmission skid. It too has taken a beating and is starting to bow upwards. Like most designs, it’s basically a flat plate of steel, which isn’t very resistant to bending. I wish someone made a design more like the stock transfer case skid: stamped steel with some channels or shapes so it’s not just flat steel. I have a rough country EVap canister skid that has never been hit. I also have an AEV skid that protects the rear differential and the u joint at the pinion. I got it after I’d chewed up the u joint and driveshaft ears on some rocks, necessitating a driveshaft rebuild. The AEV skid has a lot of gouges and is pretty chewed up by rocks but has done it’s job. Honestly unless you’re doing a lot of wheeling in big rocks or over stumps or logs, your stock skid plates should be sufficient.

#11 ·
on a 4 door I personally think the gas tank skid is a must and first one I put on mine. sure the stock one can take a beating but if you are like me you hate seeing it all bashed in and it is tough to pound out the dents and if it gets too bad you have a very difficult time pulling it off to even pound the dents out. I have used both RC and RE and both are cheap and effective. The RC is 2 pieces and I personally like the RE better as it is one piece and simple to install.

#12 ·
I run the full Metalcloak Undercloak system on my JKU. The skids are steel (what you want), are very flat & smooth (what you want), and the fasteners are very well protected using the countersunk washers. You won’t find a tougher or more complete system. Look in my build thread (signature) for more photos. A friend has an aluminum skid setup and it lasted one trip to Hot Springs. Aluminum just doesn’t hold up worth a flip.

#16 ·
X2

I have the same Metalcloak skid system on my JKU, very good quality and fits perfect, they even give you a new reinforced crossmember to replace the factory one.

Highly recommend

And if you don't like the goldish color just spray paint it over like I did with all my Metalcloak parts

#15 ·
I've been running RH 4x4 plates for about 5 years. I have not been nice to them. I highly recommend them due to their strength and the customer service. Iv'e met the owner a few times, very nice and helpful. All of the pieces fit great, no grinding nor hole stretching necessary. Cost was around $1200 back then. 2 of my jeep peeps did the artec system, which looks awesome and is alum.

#18 ·
I think most of the steel skid plates do a good job and is much better than nothing at all if you tend to take hits on the bottom when you run the harder trails. It all depends on how much you want to spend, steel vs aluminum. I put on a full steel system and I regret that now. I wish I would have installed a full aluminum system and bought components as I could afford them. It is somewhat noticeable when the Jeep is loaded up for a long overland trip.

#23 ·
I've nothing to add to this conversation other than I've been looking and leaning towards Aluminum if I get any. I may just upgrade the cross member using one from a reputable source and then have the option to expand later. I wheel less extreme than I used to so a decent cross member may be all I need. I've looked at all the options listed above and I like the Rock hard one thus far the best, but whew... the price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.