Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the mistake off putting off the task of getting skid plates. I used to have an old piece of crap jeep and so I never cared when I added new issues to it. Now I have an 08 4door and I want to take care of it.
I don't want to get into trouble again with out skid plates but there are so many types out there for different parts of the undercarriage. How do I know what is most important to cover with a skid plate and what all I really need to cover?

·
Registered
297 Posts
with a 4 door you should at least cover your fuel tank. I have an auto trans which has a few aluminum tubes/lines sitting on the bottom in the prefect spot for something to grab them so i covered that too (transmission and oil pan = one skid). in fact today i just received my final skid for my transfer case. I was using the factory skid but might as well complete the belly. I went with "ROCKHARD4X4" for all my skids. good stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Cover your evap canister, that thing is plastic. I would also cover the oil pan/transmission. I can get you JCR skids Skid Plates - RockRaider Off-road -Dan
Or just relocate the evap canister for $3 of heater hose, 15 mins, a socket set, and a 1/4 drill bit. Pretty easy to do. Then you have room to relocate your muffler and gain clearance out back too. For engine and trans skids, M.O.R.E makes a decent priced one that mounts to the frame. I built my own though.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The factory skids are pretty stout, only thing I would recommend is something to cover the oil pan.

I've rested and drug the weight of my Heep on my factory skids a few times and there still doing there job.

Like jimmywax'er said Re locate the evap and do something with that big ass muffler out back... That WILL get destroyed!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Check out this thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/list-of-armor-importance-for-jks-145114.html

My personal feelings based on my wheeling (rocks) is that engine/tranny & transfer case are a must. If you're limited on funds the gas tank & evap are ok with the stock skids, they hold up pretty well (not sure what the 08 came with from the factory?). If you wheel in the rocks new diff covers & rock sliders need to happen too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is awesome and very helpful I'll definitely start looking into some of the ones y'all mentioned and look into moving the evap. That doesn't sound too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts