Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im lazy, sue me. Question is are 1" skid spacers really necessary with a RE 2.5" lift. Yeah I know, go pull them and see what happens. Like I said in the first few words of this post :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Most everybody on here says no, but I put on a 2" lift and got closer to 4" due to sagging springs. Due to that I ended up needing the transfer case drop.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I didn't need em when I had my RE 2.5" extreme duty springs but those springs were discontinued
I think you'd be fine without the drop...

How much 'lift' you got from old sagging springs means nothing....
Only the distance above stock matters

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I'll yank them today and see what happens.Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,969 Posts
Changes, Reduces, the angle of the engine and transmission, which in turn changes your pinion angle (increasing)at the TC output shaft. Without an SYE it will increase the degree of angle at both the tc and pinion, potentially creating or reducing the angle on your U-Joints, Which may or may not create a vibration. Everything is relative to the lift in the rear end springs. But does reduce the angle created at the engine mounts with the TC drop. YMMV.

Pay close attention to any vibrations you may feel at different speeds both before and after removing them.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That and their ugly cheap lookin. Pulled them to find their poly or plastic of some sort. I didnt even try to drive it after measuring the DS angles without them, to steep and 5 degrees difference, Ah well.

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Pics 1&2...Stock rear driveshaft angle is 15*
Pics 3&4 Stock front driveshaft angle is 0*

At least that's what's on my '87 with heavy duty aftermarket springs. No vibrations or other driveability issues.
My old stock springs were flat.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt even measure the DS angle itself as it looked pretty steep. My concern was in the difference between the 2 yokes. IIRC a couple degrees difference is acceptable, but I was 5+ and figured U joints would go quick. That and the yoke was pulled out further than I felt OK with and it was a little loose in the splines. I really would like to do a SYE but its not in the budget any time soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts