Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only have a couple 4X4 shops around, and I was quoted 1400 out the door for a skyjacker 2.5 with springs, shocks, and trackbar brackets. Is this reasonable? Wasn't sure since they kind of have the monopoly.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just the labor price right!? $1400 includes my lift. Labor will be around $600.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Does that price include the price of the kit? Sounds high even if it includes kit and install. I'm getting my RK 3.5 Flex system installed tomorrow and was quoted $300-$400 for labor.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Does that price include the price of the kit? Sounds high even if it includes kit and install. I'm getting my RK 3.5 Flex system installed tomorrow and was quoted $300-$400 for labor.
The lowest price for my RK max travel kit w/ exhaust spacer, grade 8 bolts, front/rear clips, front/rear bumpstops, and brake lines was 400 plus an additional 150 for alignment so I had it installed at the dealers performance shop (OCMotorsports) so they won't question me on mods.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just DIY. I did my 2.5" Rough Country lift in my garage by myself over a weekend with jack stands and hand tools.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The lowest price for my RK max travel kit w/ exhaust spacer, grade 8 bolts, front/rear clips, front/rear bumpstops, and brake lines was 400 plus an additional 150 for alignment so I had it installed at the dealers performance shop (OCMotorsports) so they won't question me on mods.
That is a good price for a dealer. All the ones around me wanted 750-1200 plus 100 for an alignment. ...

I was referring to the OP when I asked but he beat me to it lol

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you can afford $1400 then buy a quality lift kit like TF or RK and install it yourself. There are tons of how-to tools and you will do a better job than half the shops. Skyjacker is a poor choice in lifts.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately DIY is not an option. What makes skyjacker so bad? I won't be rock crawling. Mostly trails.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any other thoughts...suggestions?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Seeing as how the lift kit only costs $400-$500 depending on what all is included, that means that the shop is charging you about $1000 for labor. That seems really high to me. I would check for other options, or as others said, DIY. Make it a family event.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
I would do a puck lift before a cheap spring lift. Especially for on road/dirt road use where ride matters more than Offroad crawling.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Find a local jeep club. They helped install mine and it only cost $12 for lunch. Can't beat that at all! That leaves more money for mods.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A cheap lift will make your ride less stable, corner worse, and handle worse offroad.

Taller does not mean better.

I went with a 2.5" MetalCloak full kit (8 arms) for extreme offroad performance, however AEV also really good for mostly on road with medium rated trails.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
A cheap lift will make your ride less stable, corner worse, and handle worse offroad. Taller does not mean better. I went with a 2.5" MetalCloak full kit (8 arms) for extreme offroad performance, however AEV also really good for mostly on road with medium rated trails.
How do you like it?

You install it yourself?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I wasn't aware it was such a bad lift. A lot of guys here run skyjacker and are able to wheel the crap out of them. This shop installs them exclusively. Though he is trying a RE at the moment. I'm buying some 33s so maybe just a leveling kit for now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts