Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need some advice. Waited 4 weeks for skyjacker black max front shocks to match the new rears on my 91 YJ 4.0 with a 4inch lift. Open the box to find the stem end is stationary and the eyebolt is on the Piston end which would hand can-up. The part number is B8559, and online it looks right side up. From the parts store it says it's a direct fit for my Jeep. Was someone just high at the factory, or is it the way skyjacker fronts are manufactured now? Should I hang them?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I am no shock expert but i think Nitro shocks can be mounted upside down and Hydro's can not. It looks like the Black Max shocks are Nitros so they can be mounted upside down. Seems odd that they would build them this way because it does look weird but i guess they want you to run them like that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd contact Skyjacker and confirm what you can and cannot do, before you install. That way you can return them if needed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents. The part store said hang em so I hung em. Handles bumps without my organs hurting now. I'll get with skyjacker after labor day and post their thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skyjacker Black Max shocks are hydro, so I'm assuming that means these shocks would have to be designed to be inverted or else they will fail soon. If so, hopefully they last until I can hang replacements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts