Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 jeep yj 4.2. I love her have and so much money into her and still going she has a 6inch total lift on her and running 32s. Ok so down the nitty gritty. I have replaced every component of the clutch I can even the slave cylender 3 time now. Just 2 weeks ago again was working great mid way Engage and everything (have not had that in 10 years I've owned her). Now have to have pedal to floor again to shift. This leads most time to no shift. Before you ask yes we bleed it, vacume bleed it infact. All good. I have thought about convet to external but omgs not sure I want to. Also last slave we had was shimed but still did same. My husbend and I have a full shop and do work ourselves but I am getting so frustrated. Can anyone HELP. Ps why the truck don't they make a longer throw on these things?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,435 Posts
Welcome Mamawolf,

You've replaced everything on the clutch , Including the Master Cylinder? And not one from Autozone I hope.

What Transmission do you have?

Reactions: Mamawolf#1

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mamawolf#1,

What happens if you pump the clutch as you're preparing to shift?

Here's a link to some good info. It may or may not be relevant to your issue, but it's good to consider what the poster has experienced.

I got lucky (Lucky Mac) and bought an AX15 transmission with attached bell housing and NP231 transfer case for $300.00. The seller bought a 1995 Cherokee for the motor for less than that so he had the motor for free and a few bucks profit. I was real happy to get my parts for what I paid. If you are patient and keep your eyed open you might find a similar deal. It took me 5 years of looking, but I have no plans to get rid of my Jeep so I could afford to wait.

If I was going to replace my current internal slave with another one, I'd buy it from Rock Auto. I'd call and ask to talk to the parts manager and ask which of the internal slave cylinders that they sell has the fewest come backs.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Mamawolf#1

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
English please

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Mamawolf,

You've replaced everything on the clutch , Including the Master Cylinder? And not one from Autozone I hope.

What Transmission do you have?
We have and no not from auto zone. Get most of my parts of extreme or Quadratic. We have replaced all of the clutch components. We are thinking now it is a heat thing. I drove it all winter no issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Forum Mamawolf#1,

What happens if you pump the clutch as you're preparing to shift?

Here's a link to some good info. It may or may not be relevant to your issue, but it's good to consider what the poster has experienced.

I got lucky (Lucky Mac) and bought an AX15 transmission with attached bell housing and NP231 transfer case for $300.00. The seller bought a 1995 Cherokee for the motor for less than that so he had the motor for free and a few bucks profit. I was real happy to get my parts for what I paid. If you are patient and keep your eyed open you might find a similar deal. It took me 5 years of looking, but I have no plans to get rid of my Jeep so I could afford to wait.

If I was going to replace my current internal slave with another one, I'd buy it from Rock Auto. I'd call and ask to talk to the parts manager and ask which of the internal slave cylinders that they sell has the fewest come backs.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thank you so much. I think atp we may be looking at a swap. My nephew is a jeepers also and has like 3 cherokee in our field for building one. Non standard though I don't think I'll ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have and no not from auto zone. Get most of my parts of extreme or Quadratic. We have replaced all of the clutch components. We are thinking now it is a heat thing. I drove it all winter no issue.
Also I think a 5 I can't remember sorry

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
@Mamawolf#1 from what I read here, new OEM slave cylinders are no longer available. That leaves the aftermarket. It seems that quality control on aftermarket internal slave cylinders is spotty at best. The "best" solution is to convert to a '94-'99 Wrangler external slave cylinder. (I'm not sure when TJ went to a different transmission so the later TJ bell housings won't work).
Another option is a bell housing and external clutch setup from a Cherokee.
I have an AX15 trans and transfer case from a '95 Cherokee. I had to make a couple simple and easy modifications to be able to use the Cherokee parts. I was really lucky to find what I did for the price I paid.
Advanced Adapters has a complete setup to convert your 1990 internal slave setup to external slave. Their website is difficult to navigate. You can call for prices.

A lower cost alternative to replacing the internal setup is to buy a guaranteed slave cylinder from a different supplier. I like Quadratec, but they buy from whomever is making whatever parts that QT sells. I'd try Rock Auto. They usually have more choices at various price points. The problem with replacing an internal slave cylinder is that you have to pull the transmission to change it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Mamawolf#1 from what I read here, new OEM slave cylinders are no longer available. That leaves the aftermarket. It seems that quality control on aftermarket internal slave cylinders is spotty at best. The "best" solution is to convert to a '94-'99 Wrangler external slave cylinder. (I'm not sure when TJ went to a different transmission so the later TJ bell housings won't work).
Another option is a bell housing and external clutch setup from a Cherokee.
I have an AX15 trans and transfer case from a '95 Cherokee. I had to make a couple simple and easy modifications to be able to use the Cherokee parts. I was really lucky to find what I did for the price I paid.
Advanced Adapters has a complete setup to convert your 1990 internal slave setup to external slave. Their website is difficult to navigate. You can call for prices.

A lower cost alternative to replacing the internal setup is to buy a guaranteed slave cylinder from a different supplier. I like Quadratec, but they buy from whomever is making whatever parts that QT sells. I'd try Rock Auto. They usually have more choices at various price points. The problem with replacing an internal slave cylinder is that you have to pull the transmission to change it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thank you so much. Yes I think we are going to have to find external slave. So with a 90 yj my options for finding one are? Like would cherokee work? And year? Also I was told have to get a bell housing. I love my beastie Jeep and even her age/lines. The replacement we got this time seemed to be great quality. We do use Rock auto for othere things I do have a hard time on some things with my jeep on there though. I will look at your suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
I sure hope a Cherokee bell housing will work. That's what I have and I have every expectation that it'll be a bolt in deal. I haven't done the conversion because I recently had my shoulder replaced and the clutch/trans/transfer case is still useable. I'll want to get it switched out sometime this fall.
Mine is from a '95 Cherokee. I think 1994 through whenever they changed to a NV transmission will work. You'll want to check on that.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
All AX15 (94 and later) and NV3550 bell housings use an external slave and are the same. The NV3550 in TJ's And XJ's are identical to the AX15 external slave bell housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So being i have a AX 15 tranny i could spend the 600 bucks on the conversation kit and call it good right? Found one that comes with bell housing. I know i am being dumb right now but i want to keep my jeep not get another and some things you read and watch are confusing me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is what I found. So im wonder would it work what more if anything would I need‽My husbend has a pretty good idea but is wondering himself.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,435 Posts
View attachment 4520256 this is what I found. So im wonder would it work what more if anything would I need‽My husbend has a pretty good idea but is wondering himself.
That kit has exactly everything you would need. I just sourced all of those same misc. parts over a few months to remove and replace my crap Ba-10 with an Ax-15 external setup. It does not come with a new master cylinder, but you can use your existing one. it comes with a fitting to adapt to what you have. The braided clutch line is a nice touch. It's a bit pricey compared to finding a used bell housing, but you are getting all new parts and everything is matched up for an easy bolt in installation. I would have gone that route myself if I hadn't found a complete trans with the bell housing.

Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
I agree with GIAL That's the kit I would have bought if I hadn't found a used setup.
One last note, when you go to order, speak with a sales rep. Make sure he/she knows what you have and what you want to do. I don't expect any issues, but it's always better to discuss a large purchase with the seller so that you get what you want the first time (and save multiple shippings).

I know I might be paranoid, but I've been bit on the butt enough times to make me that way. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Check your clutch and pilot bearing while you have the transmission out.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts