Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, my wife and I took an extended weekend and headed up to NorCal to the Stanislaus National Forest. Knocked out Corral Hollow trail as a warm up, then headed to Slickrock Trail for the main event. Slickrock Trail is rated Difficult and is complete with stream crossings, boulders, granite slabs and excellent views. Highly recommended. (Not for stock or lightly modified rigs). https://youtu.be/rmQ0qveby5c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a few other shots from our trip.

Reactions: SKT and J---

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yikes! Can't say California doesn't have some beautiful trails and difficult ones too! Thanks for the pics and You Tube video.

Stan
04 TJ

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
thanks for sharing, but please tell us that you were not the only rig......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that Uttica Reservoir? looks to small to be Lake Alpine. Nice photos!

That was Lake Alpine. Just a panorama.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for sharing, but please tell us that you were not the only rig......

Was just my wife and I. We never go anywhere unprepared. I know... "never wheel alone." I spotted her through when needed... and am fully aware of my rigs capabilities and limits. Slow and steady.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
This past weekend, my wife and I took an extended weekend and headed up to NorCal to the Stanislaus National Forest. Knocked out Corral Hollow trail as a warm up, then headed to Slickrock Trail for the main event. Slickrock Trail is rated Difficult and is complete with stream crossings, boulders, granite slabs and excellent views. Highly recommended. (Not for stock or lightly modified rigs). https://youtu.be/rmQ0qveby5c

Awesome, i have been wanting to check out Slick Rock for a while now. Have you run Deer Valley? very close to Slick Rock. It runs between highway 88 and highway 4. Starts at Hermit Valley campground off 4. It is an awesome trail, harder than Slick Rock (from what i hear about slick). I just ran it last weekend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My wife and I ran this trail the weekend before (also alone). It is a beautiful trail. We first tried it in early July, but there was still snow and we didn't want to risk getting stuck.

We didn't find the trail to be too hard, except for two obstacles where a lift and lockers were useful.

Would like to run Deer Valley too one of these days.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My wife and I ran this trail the weekend before (also alone). It is a beautiful trail. We first tried it in early July, but there was still snow and we didn't want to risk getting stuck.

We didn't find the trail to be too hard, except for two obstacles where a lift and lockers were useful.

Would like to run Deer Valley too one of these days.
Highly recommend deer valley, I ran it about 10 years ago in my old XJ. open diffs and 31s and it was tough. Ran it last weekend and it has changed significantly. 35s with f/r lockers helped a ton.

If you are interested in a wheeling buddy shoot me a pm if you area heading up there (or anywhere for that matter), i am in Sacramento also.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow, sounds like you have a fun trip. Put another trip like that together and I'll go.

It looks like you have a set of Toyo M/T tires, if so, how do you like them? I just bought a set and am waiting to take my Jeep out next weekend for an overland trip.

We are doing Jawbone Trail, Black Gulch & Sherman Jeep Trail. If anyone here is interested, you can find us on Off-Road Overland Camping on FaceBook.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've not done deer valley. Didn't even learn of that trail until we were heading out. Have to save that one for some time in the future. We loved the area and will definitely be back, but probably have to wait until next year to save up some more vacation time.

Not Toyos... I'm running ProComp M/Ts. They're not bad... but I'll be doing some comparison shopping when it's time to replace them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny, since I just got back an hour ago from Slickrock and came here to see what has been posted. Loved the trail, but I only went part way (this was my first-ever shakedown cruise in the new Rubi). I only went 1.7 miles in, to about where the steep canyon walls close in. We camped along Silver Creek and decided we will come back next month with another Jeep friend, a winch on my rig, and more beer. I'm a total newbie to this stuff, so I'll say what you guys already know: this is one helluva capable vehicle.

A couple pics from the initial part of Slickrock, which had a couple technical points where the detachable sway bars and lockers came in very handy. I still had plenty of scraping on my fenders, so maybe small/higher fenders are another add-on soon. A few pics and Youtube link from a nice camp spot on the granite rocks along Silver Creek: it is about 1.5 miles in from the Lake Alpine North Shore turnoff at Hwy 4.

https://youtu.be/8l85Rh_7pws

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ended up here from Airborne Vets post in another thread and would love to join one or more of you on a future trip. I've fished and camped the Hwy 4 corridor but not much trail experience.

We're fishing Blue Lakes Sunday and if the fishing is slow, we might head south on Deer Valley for a bit. The Hwy 4 end looks daunting so we're staying away for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Funny, since I just got back an hour ago from Slickrock and came here to see what has been posted. Loved the trail, but I only went part way (this was my first-ever shakedown cruise in the new Rubi). I only went 1.7 miles in, to about where the steep canyon walls close in. We camped along Silver Creek and decided we will come back next month with another Jeep friend, a winch on my rig, and more beer. I'm a total newbie to this stuff, so I'll say what you guys already know: this is one helluva capable vehicle.

A couple pics from the initial part of Slickrock, which had a couple technical points where the detachable sway bars and lockers came in very handy. I still had plenty of scraping on my fenders, so maybe small/higher fenders are another add-on soon. A few pics and Youtube link from a nice camp spot on the granite rocks along Silver Creek: it is about 1.5 miles in from the Lake Alpine North Shore turnoff at Hwy 4.

https://youtu.be/8l85Rh_7pws

Nice rig! You don't see too many half door JKU's I know of only one other I've seen, and he's in our Norcal group.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice rig! You don't see too many half door JKU's I know of only one other I've seen, and he's in our Norcal group.
Thanks! The salesperson at the local dealer said he hadn't sold one with factory half doors in all his years, so I had to special order it. Most people don't want it because you lose the power windows and door locks, and they figure they will take the whole door off when they want to go to aftermarket soft half doors. But that creates a storage problem with the doors. The top half solid-framed, roll-down windows slide right out and easily store on a shelf in the garage. Or I can travel with them on and then pull them out at the destination and stuff them in the back. Factory steel half doors are a no-cost option. Jeep is fine with it since they are probably cheaper doors and less electronics for the power accessories. I'm also fine with less electronics to go bad over time.

For me, I also love the look, particularly with Gobi color or military style greens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mainly because of this thread, this newbie and his wife paid Slickrock a visit yesterday. We were by ourselves and the intent was to just go to the creek due to our lack of experience and familiarity with the trail. As we made the turn off Highway 4 however, we found ourselves in the middle of a group of Jeeps heading to the trail. We introduced ourselves at the staging area and asked to tag along. A great group of people were more than willing to help and I only regret that we were in a hurry to get to a fishing spot after we finished and didn't stop at their campsite for proper introductions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts