Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When at 45-50 mph I have a slight wobble. Put 2in bb on then had same aligned. Any other speed is fine? Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Slight steering wobble at that speed is not uncommon and points directly at wheel balance. Many of us have been there and the balance needs to be perfect. Good enough is not good enough.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. It's due for rotation and oil change. I'll have them rebalance all as well. Was kind of worried. Death wobble is at all speeds correct?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thank you so much. It's due for rotation and oil change. I'll have them rebalance all as well. Was kind of worried. Death wobble is at all speeds correct?
Not really.. I had death wobble after doing my ball joints and hub assemblies. Got an alignment and balance and it fixed it for like 2 weeks. Now it's back but only when braking and if i hit a bump while braking. My rotors are in bad shape which is causing the vibe and my ball joint on my drag link is worn out which is causing it to become a dw problem. Before it would wobble at any speed over 40 if i hit a bump now it's just when braking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad OP posted this, I had the same problem and was wondering what the difference was in tires needing balancing, drive shaft vibes and then Death Wobble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a TJ that has the same issues. Just had it realigned tires rotated and balanced. It helped it slightly, but is still coming back. I took a look and the steering stabilizer is shot. I'm in the process of trying to replace it, but can't get the darn old one off. Either way I think the steering stabilizer will fix it up. Bought one around $40 at Autozone. If I can't pull the old one off myself I found a local shop that will charge $60 to put it on. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

By the way from what I'm hearing about the DW its very extreme and you have to pretty much come to a complete stop.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
By the way from what I'm hearing about the DW its very extreme and you have to pretty much come to a complete stop.
Very true. Actual death wobble is a violent shaking of the front end so much that coming to almost a complete stop is the only way to make it quit. If you can speed up and it goes away, it wasn't dw. If your driver's seat isn't brown after going through it, it wasn't dw. It's very close to a complete loss of control...your steering wheel will be shaking so bad, it's hard to hang on. It's common for it to start in the 40-45 mph range after hitting a pot hole or variation in the road (anything that causes one tire to loose traction). It is caused by the side load that is continuously present on the tires to be released, and worn or loose parts to not be able to control the rebound, but to actually add momentum much like a spring.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very true. Actual death wobble is a violent shaking of the front end so much that coming to almost a complete stop is the only way to make it quit. If you can speed up and it goes away, it wasn't dw. If your driver's seat isn't brown after going through it, it wasn't dw. It's very close to a complete loss of control...your steering wheel will be shaking so bad, it's hard to hang on. It's common for it to start in the 40-45 mph range after hitting a pot hole or variation in the road (anything that causes one tire to loose traction). It is caused by the side load that is continuously present on the tires to be released, and worn or loose parts to not be able to control the rebound, but to actually add momentum much like a spring.

O.O crap- well safe to say I dodged a bullet. Thanks for info

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I just bought a TJ that has the same issues. Just had it realigned tires rotated and balanced. It helped it slightly, but is still coming back. I took a look and the steering stabilizer is shot. I'm in the process of trying to replace it, but can't get the darn old one off. Either way I think the steering stabilizer will fix it up. Bought one around $40 at Autozone. If I can't pull the old one off myself I found a local shop that will charge $60 to put it on. I'll let you know if that fixes it. By the way from what I'm hearing about the DW its very extreme and you have to pretty much come to a complete stop.
Your steering stabilizer isn't the problem.

Think about it like this, your tires shouldn't be shaking like a chihuahua normally. Your jeep should be able to drive just fine without your steering stabilizer actually. All it does is absorb shock from the road. A stabilizer only masks the problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
UPDATE!! Got her rotated an balanced! No more wobble, as always thanks guys
That may fix it temp... But usually what allows the vibe to get worse is worn out parts. So if the wheel balance/alignment was causing the vibe, what was allowing it to become full blown DW?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
That may fix it temp... But usually what allows the vibe to get worse is worn out parts. So if the wheel balance/alignment was causing the vibe, what was allowing it to become full blown DW?
The OP never stated they were experiencing DW, just a slight vibe at the wheel in the range of 40-50, which is almost always a tire balance issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts