Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my tires seems to have a leak.. Loses pressure over a period of 3 days... But tere is no nail in it or anything I can see.. Is that slime stuff the way to go?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Don't use slime, that stuff just leaves a horrific mess inside the tire. The age old method of submersing the tire in water & looking for bubbles will find that kind of leak. Check the tire stem valve too.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Like Jerry said. Slime is good for lawn mower tires, but I wouldn't use it in a daily driver. Mix up a solution of dish soap and water and spray the beads. That's the most likely cause if there isn't a leak in the tire itself. In fact, spray everything down. Tire, bead and stem and wait and watch.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Don't use slime, that stuff just leaves a horrific mess inside the tire. The age old method of submersing the tire in water & looking for bubbles will find that kind of leak. Check the tire stem valve too.
Ok cool! Now to find a swimming pool to submerge my tire hahaha!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
most tire shops will charge around 10 bux extra per tire if they're slimed, and double it if you don't warn them about it before hand. (you should warn them if you go that route, it's not a pleasant sort of surprise). Most of them will also check for and repair a small leak like that for about the same amount.

A one dollar bottle of kids bubble solution wiped on the tire will also find a small leak without having to remove the tire if you have enough patience. Use a sponge, a spray bottle will make bubbles everywhere and the leak will be harder to see. you'll see foam "growing" on the tire ;)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Another trick is to spray a solution of water and dish soap on the tire after it is inflated. The dish soap will make more noticeable bubbles and also clean them up nice and pretty.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
So long as you can keep it a secret from the women in the house, you can also use the bathtub to find air leaks haha.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
So long as you can keep it a secret from the women in the house, you can also use the bathtub to find air leaks haha.
I don't see why they would mind. I used mine to wash my rear wheel well liners once. My wife hates my Jeep but didn't mind because I ended up having to clean the tub when I was done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts