Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently put on a 2.5" lift. Noticing that my slip yoke is out of the tail shaft quite a bit. I'm worried if I articulate to much it may come out. Wondering if anyone has put a 2.5" lift and not done anything about this and if they have had problems or not. Or if they used a slip yoke eliminator And what all goes into those. I've never fooled with them before

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I was running close to 6 inches of lift with no problems... now not so much cause rc springs r toasted its only been a year and a half since I got them to but yea u should be fine I believe others will tell u do it. It choice!

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I ran with a 4" lift for a couple of years without a SYE. No real problems. I upgraded to the SYE to regain the lost clearence of the transfer case drop bracket. I don't think the 2" kit comes with the drop bracket, so you should be fine. If you go bigger on the lift, or have a bad driveline vibration, then you may want to reconsider and pay to get the SYE kit with a new rear driveshaft.

The install is not tough if you have a decent tool set and a garage to work in. Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me and I will be happy to try and help.

Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turdhurdler said:
I ran with a 4" lift for a couple of years without a SYE. No real problems. I upgraded to the SYE to regain the lost clearence of the transfer case drop bracket. I don't think the 2" kit comes with the drop bracket, so you should be fine. If you go bigger on the lift, or have a bad driveline vibration, then you may want to reconsider and pay to get the SYE kit with a new rear driveshaft.

The install is not tough if you have a decent tool set and a garage to work in. Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me and I will be happy to try and help.

Jeff
I have no vibration in my drive line at all. I guess I'll just keep it as it is for now. Just put a new tranny in it and don't feel like fooling with that area again for a while. Haha. I guess il know more when I get on the trails and see how it does when I start twisting and articulating and what not. Thank you turd hurdler. Great name!!! I love it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Haha. I guess il know more when I get on the trails and see how it does when I start twisting and articulating and what not.
What 2.5" lift did you go with? My 1995 came with what I believe to be a saggy Rough Country 4" kit in it. I have loosened up the shackles, removed the sway bars and track bars. The thing still flexes like a dump truck.:) I wouldnt be too concerned with tossing a driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I'm really surprised that those above don't have vibrations without an SYE and that much lift. I've ridden in several YJs with 4" or so of lift and no SYE and it buzzes and hums at even low speed. Several had wear marks around the connection joints where the constant vibration has wore away at the joints.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amiller said:
What 2.5" lift did you go with? My 1995 came with what I believe to be a saggy Rough Country 4" kit in it. I have loosened up the shackles, removed the sway bars and track bars. The thing still flexes like a dump truck.:) I wouldnt be too concerned with tossing a driveshaft.
Rough country. Haha I'm sure it's not gonna flex much. I don't have sway bar disconnects or anything so I'm sure ill have wheels off the ground going through the smallest ditch or if I went over a speed bump sideways haha

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So jjusmc77, did your lift come with some sort of transfer case drop? Everyone that I have looked into has some sort of drop in the kit. And if it came with one did you put it on?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Worst case scenario just take it to a driveline shop and have it lengthened. Should cost you about $100. I would add 1.5", but be carefull. Too short is better than too long and having it bottom out against your TC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jeff_in_rc said:
So jjusmc77, did your lift come with some sort of transfer case drop? Everyone that I have looked into has some sort of drop in the kit. And if it came with one did you put it on?
No it didn't. A week after I did the lift I put in a new transition and I forgot to measure the spline shaft on the slip yoke to see how much was out of the tail shaft. So I'm sure it was the same length as before but am not 100%. Even with no transfer case lowering kit I have no vibration at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OverkillYJ said:
Worst case scenario just take it to a driveline shop and have it lengthened. Should cost you about $100. I would add 1.5", but be carefull. Too short is better than too long and having it bottom out against your TC.
Yeah I was thinking about taking it to a driveline shop and see what they think. The put mine back together after my old slip yoke snapped at the u joint.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have a 2.5" lift with 1" lift shackles. I did an sye and cv shaft. I decided that eventually i was gonna flat pan my yj so why not just get it out of the way. Plus my slipyouke was hanging way out. Plus the trunions of my ds yokes were hitting eachother. It would have been a matter of time before I tore something up.

Mine flexes pretty good imho for what it is. The slip shaft on my rear ds moves about 2 to 3 inches...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I'm really surprised that those above don't have vibrations without an SYE and that much lift. I've ridden in several YJs with 4" or so of lift and no SYE and it buzzes and hums at even low speed. Several had wear marks around the connection joints where the constant vibration has wore away at the joints.
I recently bought a 91yj that already had a SOA and 1 1/4 inch transfer case drop done to it but still had the slip yoke..It had a vibration,the rear axle appeared to be twisted up a little high and the jeep sat a good bit lower in the rear..the first thing I decided to do was sit the jeep back level and then attack the other issues.I measured and then built 1 1/2 inch spacer blocks for the rear axle..After installing them with longer u bolts the third member of the rear end and the driveshaft are perfectly aligned and it has no vibration whatsoever at any speed..I guess I just got very lucky on all that but I'll take it..I want to eventually get a 1 inch longer drive shaft but the yoke still goes onto the transfer case shaft a little over 2 inches so since I don't do any heavy duty offroading with it,I think it will be okay for now..I'm going to stick with the slip yoke

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll take a picture of it this afternoon and post it so you all can see how far it is out. Maybe we can get a better grip on my situation. I really appreciate all of the input!!! Gotta love the jeep community

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I know these spring are probably going settle a little bit more so I may wait a while to get a longer drive shaft if I decide to go that route rather than the sye

·
Registered
250 Posts
better get that lengthened had mine like that once and it popped out crossing a RR track...........

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
87YJnTX said:
better get that lengthened had mine like that once and it popped out crossing a RR track...........
I hate railroad tracks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok that's what I figured. Also, with a sye I wild have to get a new drive shaft correct? A longer one correct? I've never fooled with them before so I'm not sure what really goes into them. I know there purpose but not what is involved after it is on the transfer case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts