Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of the Rock Hard tubular side steps; I am loving them but I have run into an issue I should have seen coming. Shockingly enough the smooth rounded metal gets slippery when soaking or covered in slush.

I am hoping someone knows either a good looking or not noticeable way of adding some non slip to where I step up on them. I love the steps and while I have not had the opportunity to take them anywhere for them to get beaten up they look, and fit great. They have also already dented one BMW's door who thought opening his door into them would be a good idea.

Just hoping I can get a little non slip added to make them perfect!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I recently installed a set of the Rock Hard tubular side steps; I am loving them but I have run into an issue I should have seen coming. Shockingly enough the smooth rounded metal gets slippery when soaking or covered in slush.

I am hoping someone knows either a good looking or not noticeable way of adding some non slip to where I step up on them. I love the steps and while I have not had the opportunity to take them anywhere for them to get beaten up they look, and fit great. They have also already dented one BMW's door who thought opening his door into them would be a good idea.

Just hoping I can get a little non slip added to make them perfect!

Thanks
I would Add something like....

Warning Tapes | Tapes-Anti-Slip | Anti Slip Traction Walk Tape Roll-2 Inch By 60 Feet | 271600 - GlobalIndustrial.com

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They may be called steps but I think the primary purpose is protection for the Jeep. You could possibly apply a coat of textured paint or have them Line-X coated.
Their primary purpose is to protect the jeep, which is why the fact that their function as a step being less than perfect is not a negative to me. Just hoping to improve that part, and line x is a good idea!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I use Rust-oleum truck bed coating to cover/protect the scrapes and gouges in my bumpers and sliders. Blends in pretty well with a dullish black finish. It's got a good texture for gripping a shoe sole.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I use Rust-oleum truck bed coating to cover/protect the scrapes and gouges in my bumpers and sliders. Blends in pretty well with a dullish black finish. It's got a good texture for gripping a shoe sole.
I got a set of ACE rails used and they had a few minor rust spots. I sanded down those spots and then coated the entire rails with this stuff. I've not slipped one time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Our '15 JKU has Mopar rock rails and they have some kind of anti-slip coating on them that gives a good grip on my boots. Maybe there is something like that to apply on other makes? - Ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts