Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over the last trip wheeling my steering has been a bit sloppy, and all over the road. The steering seems really loose. I've checked everything, and everything seems tight. Would a worn steering stabilizer produce sloppy (quick) steering?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
If by sloppy (quick) you mean that the Jeeps feels twitch and wants to drift rather than go in a straight line, the problem could be your Caster angle.

If you mean your steering is loose so the steering wheel has play in it that is a different issue.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I've noticed over the last trip wheeling my steering has been a bit sloppy, and all over the road. The steering seems really loose. I've checked everything, and everything seems tight. Would a worn steering stabilizer produce sloppy (quick) steering?
The standard answer is no - its probably not your steering stabilizer. Stabilizers just soften bump steer and take some of the road shock out. Take it off and drive to see- ive run for hundreds of miles without one and while its not ideal its not a huge deal either. We will need more info to provide suggestions....

How many miles do you have on the Jeep? What kind of Jeep? Do you have any mods? Any of them recent? What kind of castor angle do you have in the front? Adjustable control arms?

if its not castor angle, any big hits during your wheeling trip? Did you check the torque on your steering components/steering box, etc? How about the trackbar? Any play in the tie rods? Ball joints? Any damage to control arms (this is relatively rare. It easy to check). If you rule out castor and everything is tight and properly torqued and not damaged from the firewall forward, you will Need to closely inspect and eliminate steering components one by one. Good luck. Post more info and pics if you have them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If by sloppy (quick) you mean that the Jeeps feels twitch and wants to drift rather than go in a straight line, the problem could be your Caster angle.

If you mean your steering is loose so the steering wheel has play in it that is a different issue.
Sounds like it's the caster angle. Last weekend I rechecked the upper/lower control arms, the stabilizer bar links, and they are torqued right. No play in the ball joints and the wheel bearings are tight.
Like you said the jeep seems to twitch and has a tendency to drift. There is no play in the steering wheel.
Bbannongmu, I've got a 2013 unlimited rubi with about 20k on it. 33x10.5 tires. I also have a small puck lift of 3/4". Stock control arms. On my last wheeling trip I believe I did knock the crap out of the alignment. Went on a pretty rocky trail, and ever since the trip it's been like that.

Oh, thanks for responding so quick. You guys rock.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Did you add in the 3/4" puck with the control arms bolts loose? Not sure it would matter with such a small lift but there might be some control arm bushing bind - maybe someone can chime in on this. I have seen it on 1.75" lifts but no experience with issues with that small of a lift. Does it steer straight and the steering wheel center? Any tire scrubbing/chirping? Try an alignment if not. Also what kind of psi are your tires running? might need to chalk them to find ideal air pressure. Good luck

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you add in the 3/4" puck with the control arms bolts loose? Not sure it would matter with such a small lift but there might be some control arm bushing bind - maybe someone can chime in on this. I have seen it on 1.75" lifts but no experience with issues with that small of a lift. Does it steer straight and the steering wheel center? Any tire scrubbing/chirping? Try an alignment if not. Also what kind of psi are your tires running? might need to chalk them to find ideal air pressure. Good luck
I did the grade 9 bolt upgrade at the same time as the lift. Did it myself with the help from a friend. After the lift was in we lowered the jeep and tightened the bolts. I took it in for an alignment after.
I run 32lbs in all tires. The steering wheel is center.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What's your caster and toe specs ?
What he said. I bet your toe is out of whack from the last tine you got alignment numbers due to a bent tie rod. If your tie rod is only slightly bent I mean slightly like you can't see it with the naked eye your toe will be waaaay off. Also the stock tie rod ends are crap of all crap. I just replaced my tie rod and draglink with the synergy and before I took it off I measured the toe of my factory one for the hell of it and I had 1 full inch of toe in lol this is after I had set it to 1/8 only two months prior. Jeep drives straight and true now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts