Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief history and where I am at now:

I bought a 2013 2 door lifted with existing RC lift on 35's. It was extremely back breaking to ride in and every little bump in the road was felt. The steering was flighty/wandering and it jumped out of lanes when hitting bumps and potholes at hwy speeds.

I have since added a fox steering stabilizer which has helped but is probably masking a problem because the wandering in lane is still there but just not as bad. I recently had a 3" EVO enforcer lift installed (removed all RC components), 4.56 gears put in and Synergy Ball joints installed. The jeep drives much better now and isnt bone jarring when traveling over bumps however the steering wheel has some play in it still feels like it has a mind of its own especially on the $hitty highways in the DFW area.

Can someone look at these pictures and tell me if something obvious with the geometry looks off?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do you have a correction bracket on the LCA's. Or are they adjustable? Your castor could be off. I just got done figuring out my wobble problem myself. Haha replaced everything and it was both my lower ball joints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry just saw the control arms. -___- the frame side of the control arm seems to be angled. I heard bushings being angled and not straight can mess things up. Although I could be wrong. Is that still the stock track bar? Adjustable track bars could help.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You may have to wait for the BJ's to be fully broken in. What was the caster in the end after everything was installed ?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
The joint on the lower LCA should be straightened, but is not likely the cause of your steering issues. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
those look like adjustable lower control arms with johnny joints in them to me. If so, it won't make any difference straightening them out (don't need to).

I agree with everyone else, your problem is probably the caster adjustment. Adjusting the lower control arms longer should help with your problem.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Maybe it is just the angle of the picture but you drag link and your track bar should be parallel. In the picture they are crossing.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
Yes you need to straighten those joints. When flexing, you can bottom out the joint if not centered, which can cause damage to the joint.

What is your caster at? What length did they set those lower control arms at?

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Maybe it is just the angle of the picture but you drag link and your track bar should be parallel. In the picture they are crossing.
While I agree with the other comments that the CA bushing needs to be addressed, I'm with Terry...the DL/Trackbar angles may be causing your steering issues.

Any idea what height your lift is? From the looks of those angles I'd guess it's at least 3-3.5

If you're at least 3" of lift (make sure you have at 3 inches of front bumpstop) raising the trackbar + flipping the DL will do wonders for your steering, especially on a two door.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a correction bracket on the LCA's. Or are they adjustable? Your castor could be off. I just got done figuring out my wobble problem myself. Haha replaced everything and it was both my lower ball joints.

The LCA's are adjustable. I am taking it in for alignment tomorrow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The LCA's are adjustable. I am taking it in for alignment tomorrow.
Yea the screen was loading your next pictures. I thought you only had the first 2 pics where it showed the front suspension. Haha that easy bad.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those look like adjustable lower control arms with johnny joints in them to me. If so, it won't make any difference straightening them out (don't need to).

I agree with everyone else, your problem is probably the caster adjustment. Adjusting the lower control arms longer should help with your problem.

Yes, the LCA are adjustable with johnny joints.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I agree with the other comments that the CA bushing needs to be addressed, I'm with Terry...the DL/Trackbar angles may be causing your steering issues.

Any idea what height your lift is? From the looks of those angles I'd guess it's at least 3-3.5

If you're at least 3" of lift (make sure you have at 3 inches of front bumpstop) raising the trackbar + flipping the DL will do wonders for your steering, especially on a two door.
This is lift I installed:

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-3-enforcer-kit-with-plush-springs-jk-jku/

I ended up getting about 3.5" inches of lift.

Do I need to invest in this?

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-drag-link-flip-kit-jk-jku/#prettyPhoto

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Something along those lines woudn't hurt. That's a good price for the components you get. Only downside is you have to drill the passenger side knuckle for the flip.

If you're still running the stock draglink you can get the Yeti 26 no-drill flipped end and keep the stock pitman end. Then just pair it with a trackbar relocation bracket to raise the trackbar to be parallel with it. I'd go with the Synergy TB relocation bracket or the SteerSmarts yeti bracket. One of those brackets plus the Yeti 26 flipped end should be close to the price of the evo kit and you wont have to drill the steering knuckle.

Just make sure you're running 3" bumpstop up front to avoid any DL clearance issues with the frame.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts

Remember that the track bar curves back down at the frame side. You use the bolt locations to determine alignment of the drag link and track bar... It doesn't look that bad to me.

And, even a bad track bar/drag link alignment wouldn't do much on the freeway... Your bumpsteer is much more prominent when hitting "bumps".

He hasn't had it aligned yet... I'm betting the front lowers are too short.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts