Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody, just thought I'd get some opinions on what I need to do to have my Tj starting like new again. It's a 98 4.0L with about 108,000 miles, has a brand new Diehard platinum battery (which helped for a short time)

The Problem: She takes too long to start, I can give her a few mins to warm up but when I turn that key the starter is definitely cranking more than it should be.

The Solution: Basically what do you guys think the problem is? Here is what I'm thinking
1. The fuel pump is going out
2. Fuel pressure regulator is bad
3. Fuel Injectors are no good

Those are my thoughts on what could be causing the problem what do you all think/anyone dealt with this and solved it? Any help/ ideas at eliminating some of these possibilities as well as testing to see what is wrong without putting new parts in would be well received. Thanks

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
When the engine is cold, turn the key to the on position for a couple seconds and then off. Repeat this 2 or 3 times and then crank it. If it cranks right up then its the fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
755 Posts
(without starting it) Try turning the key off and on 3 or 4 times then try starting it. If its starts right up after that its probably your fuel pressure regulator. Easy fix....after you drop the gas tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts